Red tail boa cage help!

Discussion in 'Boas' started by RobbieReptileMan, Jun 29, 2012.

1. RobbieReptileMan

RobbieReptileMan New Member

Would it be ok to keep a 7'11 boa in a 75 gallon tank? She's a columbian red tail btw

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

She is 7 feet and 11 inches in length?

I would say a 75 gallon is going to be a little on the small side for a snake of this size. A standard 75 gallon aquarium is 48" x 18" x 21" (lxwxh). The height is okay, but height isn't as important for these guys as the floorspace. A 48" x 24" footprint would be the very bare minimum for a snake of this size, and you'll find that she will appreciate something more in the 5-6ft range if you can accomodate it.

I would also consider using something other than an aquarium to house her... perhaps look into building an enclosure from melamine or plywood or some sort of PVC or plastic style caging meant for snakes. Glass aquaria are quite heavy and ineffiecient for holding heat and humidity, and are better suited for keeping fish (though many reptiles do fare well in them). In addition, screen tops can be problematic for some snakes who insist on rubbing their heads against them which can lead to abrasion wounds. You'll find that most keepers provide snakes with plastic bins for housing or caging that opens from the front. Here is one I built for a boa:
    [​IMG]

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. RobbieReptileMan

RobbieReptileMan New Member

Well actually right now I have her in the cage I built for my savannah when he gets bigger it's a 6 feet long by 3 foot height by 3 foot width and my savannah only a baby right now so I do have time but I want to get something permanent for her I was looking into a " Christmas tree box " my friend suggested one saying there very wide and long and spacious enough for a boa of her size

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ReptileLover789

ReptileLover789 New Member

i personaly would stick with melamine and sliding glass doors like a vision cage unless she is a breeder if you need help designing the tank send me a privet message