really sick corn need help

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by froglady, Mar 9, 2005.

1. froglady

froglady Embryo

i have been having problem with my corn snake. He is about 4 monthsold maybe a foot foot and a half long at most very skinny still. At first he would try to eat but it wouldnt go down the pinkie would stay in his mouth/head/throte for hours till we took it out. Appetite was there though becasue we treid to feed it again and it still tried to eat but same thing happned would not go down. Monday i brought it to the vet she said she found no parasites and the digestive track seemed find stuck a tube down him passed very easily no blockage she even fed him a liquid mix for cornavours. She did find mites and gave him a shot for that we got home he seemed ok now its tuesday night i thought he would have improved since vet visit has gotten worse will not move i think hes dead all the time but i pick him up and he does have slight movement temp in tank is about 82 degrees i have a 20 gallon high tank with a mesh top and one of those hoods that have a uv and heat bulb in it hunity is usally 30 - 40% also sheds in patches never a full shed i love him already alot and dont want to loose him hope he makes it through the night any suggestions or comments? :cry: :cry:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Please check out the care sheets link at the top of the page... there is a lot of good information about getting snakes to eat and proper care.

I am assuming you are measuring your temps with a analog "pet store type" thermometer, please get a digital thermometer and place it in the bottom of the cage to get a more accurate temp reading. Next, the 20 galling tank is probably a bit too much for such a small snake, unless you have a lot of artificial greenery and hides for the snake. Another thing that will help is to use aspen shavings or cypress mulch as a substrate so the snake can burrow. For feeding, place the snake in a small deli cup with a small live pinkie, put it in the cage and leave it over night.