Rat Breeding

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by honor_your_life, Mar 29, 2006.

1. ssscales

ssscales Member

I felt like my girls were prego for a few days now! I cleaned my tubs yesterday like I do every Sunday and nothing, today I went to check on their water and food and hear little squeals!

One of the females dropped 6-8 babies as far as I can tell, there may be more in there. As soon as they felt the cage moved they dragged the babies out of the hide and then just sat on them while they sucked.

I left them alone after making sure they had food & water!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Congrats!!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ssscales

ssscales Member

What should do now, just let them be?
    When should I remove the male?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

You can remove the male now, no worries. And yeah, just let them be. Momma will take care of them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ssscales

ssscales Member

I was just going to let both females and male just stay together, if anything I'll take him and the other girl out during the next scheduled cleaning.

Should I even clean the tub with the babies next Sunday?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

Sure, that is not a problem... just keep in mind mom might be a little protective.

12. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

yay, it's about time! :D

13. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

personally i cull 'biters'

14. Janice

I personally wouldn't consider protective mothers as aggressive, and cullable.

15. ssscales

ssscales Member

I just cleaned out my rat tubs and final count of those (now pups) are 8, those things sure do grow fast! Just last week they were small/tiny pinks and now pups!

Problem is, I notice since cleaning and replacing the old nest box, the mother keeps kicking out two of the pups! I used latex gloves in handling the pups! I've put back these two pups 2X's and she keeps picking them up and kicking them out!

What should I do, if anything?

16. Blackrose

Blackrose Embryo

I would just leave 'em in, the mom should still take care of them, Id try to put vicks vapor rub on its nose, but a tiny bit cuse the rat will try to eat it, thst should keep the rat from smelling anything on the rat if she is in fact abandoing them (Ive never had to do this,but I know "Fancy Rat" breeders that do this), my rats move sometimes seperate some of their babys, but they all end up growin fine.

17. Janice

I handle my babies, and it has never bothered the mums. I am thinking there might be something wrong with them..... I don't know if you can do anything.