Quick enclosure size question

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by pulpz, Jul 3, 2012.

1. pulpz

pulpz Embryo

Hi All,

First time posting here...anyhoo, would a V400 Vision 48" W x 26" D x 14" H be suitable for a juvenile beardie and well into it's adulthood, or should I simply build one myself? Reason being, I can get a pretty sweet deal on one of the Vision cages for next to nothing right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey pulpz! Welcome to the boards! Sorry for the delay on a response...

That size enclosure should be just fine for even an adult bearded dragon. You may be a little more limited as to what you can furnish the enclosure with due to the relatively low height, but it can certainly work. The most important factor for beardies is floorspace, with an ideal minimum of 6 square feet of floorspace. Your enclosure has a lovely spacious 8 square feet.

You'll likely be unable to use a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) as a UVB producing bulb source... this is really the only major concern you may have due to their high output and distance requirements. But there are plenty of excellent tube flourescent UVB producing bulbs that will be just fine!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pulpz

pulpz Embryo

Thanks for the response Jeff. Yeah, I thought about the height being a bit low, but one that's never been used and @ $75 is proving to be hard to pass up!