Questions (hopefully not stupid) from a Newbie

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Bigbossfan, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Bigbossfan

Bigbossfan Embryo

Just bought a Crestie on Sunday at the Expo. Am feeding her T-Rex Crested Gecko food. The lady I bought it from said there was no requirement to feed crickets. However, most anyone at this board that has commented on my thread in the Crestie forum has said I should feed her some crickets.

So I'm prepared to do this, however (now here comes the stupid questions)!!

I see alot of people mention a Critter Keeper to house them in. My question is, how do you get em from the keeper to the cage, without them jumping out of the keeper. My wife will freak if we end up having crickets in the house!

Also, the crestie is only 4 weeks old and very small. I know that crickets I feed should be no bigger than the distance between the cresties eyes, so how many crickets at a time would you recommend buying. I.E. how quickly do they grow?? I have also read that cricketfood is excellent for gutloading the crickets...is the only way to get it thru online. I live in Canada, can I get it here?

And now for the final stupid question!! When people mention "dust the cricket". What do you use to dust them...I understand there is some kind of nutritious stuff you put on the cricket...but what do you physically use to "dust em"??

Thanks in advance.

BBF

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jamesjenkins

jamesjenkins Member

With the cricket keeper, the crickets will hide in the tubes in there and you just shake them out when needed, so none should escape.

I dont know anything about cresties but the more you can buy at a time, the better because it will be cheaper, but someone else should be able to help you more because i dont know how much/how often they eat.

And no questions are stupid on this forum :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Dusting is done with either a vitamin powder or a calcium powder. I'm not sure what the requirements are for cresteds, so someone else will have to give you the details.
    They are very fine powders that you'll coat the feeders with. It's like getting the gecko to eat a multi-vitamin and drink it's milk :)
    I put some in the bottom of a pepsi bottle, drop the crix in, bounce them around a bit, then drop them in the tank.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bigbossfan

Bigbossfan Embryo

When you say a Cricket Keeper, is this what you are talking about?? http://www.hometrainingtools.com/catalog/l..._be-aqua1g.html

Also, thinking about ordering crickets from canadian feeders...anyone recommend them and their gutload?? 500 is the min you can order, I have a 4 week crestie who should be eating 10-14 crickets every other day. Will it be difficult to sustain 500 crickets for the timeframe (i.e...I guess close to a month)??

Thanks in advance.

BBF

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. peterm15

peterm15 New Member

well first of all'[ for cresties you only have to feed crix once or twice a week.. so but say 2 dozen and take them out and put them in a tbbware container with some small air holes and some gutload and egg crate.. then 24hrs later take this to the bath tub and pull out i dozen by shaking the egg crate into a bag ( the one the crix came in) putting some vitiman in there and shake.. then pour the dusted crix in the cage..

the reason why i say take it to the tub ( or something similar ) is so if one does jump away it cant go anywhere..

but cresties only need crix once or twice a week for protien.. but as an alternative instead of crested gecko diet you can use some gargoyle gecko diet which has more protiene..

its really just fun feeding crix... and in a little while youll get used to it..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. peterm15

peterm15 New Member

sorry for the second post..

there is no need for 500 crix seeing as most will die in a month.. about 2 weeks is what they last.. and by that time theyll be to big for your crestie..

if you can tell me in canada where you are i can tell you where to get everthing youll need..

you can get all the vitimans and cricket food at most pet stores... repti-cal is what i use.. heres a pic of all my cricket stuff

[​IMG]
    ignore that price tag.. it wasnt right

i also dont have cresties but will be getting some soon and have talked to many breeders.. by last sundays show i expect you to be somewhere in toronto..

the white cup in the backround is a cricket chaker but dont buy it.. its useless for small crix..

the most expensive thing is the blue multivitimine. which was 15 bucks.. the others were 5.99...

you can e-mail me and ill give you any info needed for gutloading, care, and other things.. ill also give you a list of stores of where to get things in your area.. if i dont know ill find out..

peterm15@hotmail.com

but like i said for cresties once a week crix is all that is needed and baby food and cgd the rest of the time.. be sure to mix some calcium powder in with babyfood..

12. Bigbossfan

Bigbossfan Embryo

Thanks for the reply Peter...e-mail sent.

BBF

13. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

um let me add if i can that if ur only feeding maybe 2 - 3 dozen crix a week that it will be cheaper, cleaner and simpler if u just pick them up from ur local pet store ont he way home from work, they'll be sumwhere between 7- 12 cents each but for 2 bucks a week that is gonna be cheaper than getting 500 shipped to you for 20+ dollars. and u dont have to keep them ina big container and feed and water them or clean their tank. I suppest u just buy the crix, one day before feeding time, keep them int he bag they come in or put them in another small container, add a small amount(2 dozen tiny crix will not eat much) like a teaspoon of food in the bag and a tiny wet sponge or a few chunks of cricket gel to let them gutload. Then the next day drop in his vitamin powders, shake away then dump into the cresties tank... no fuss, no muss, no mess, and cheap.

14. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I still buy mine from the petstore since I'm only getting ~$2 or so a week. Sure, it's cheaper to get them in bulk, but I'm not using them fast enough to make it worth it to store them. I just chalk it up to "convienience fee". I only have 20 crix on hand instead of 200+, and it only costs me an extra $0.10/wk.

15. outcold720

outcold720 Member

I'm pretty sure you went to the ontario reptile expo so i guess you live around here (im just assuming) if you go to port credit pet shop on lakeshore near the police station they have everything you need heres the their site
    www.portcreditpets.com