Question for all you people

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Trun, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Trun

Trun Embryo

Ok, so long story:

I purchased a ball python from a pet store. Within a week, it had bubbles around it's mouth. Pet store bought it back from me and took it to the vet. Told me it was a fungal infection, and that it had 18 days of treatment. Here we are, nearly a month later they tell me the snake has a "clean bill of health," I bring the snake back home, and notice there's still bubbles, the same amount and consistency. It's not something they could have missed, because there is liquid smeared on the sides of the box they gave me the snake back in.

What do?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Sounds like a respiratory infection to me. Pet stores never cease to amaze me with their ridiculous diagnoses...

Send it back and tell them to have an actual vet look at it and get it on some baytril. By the sounds of things, the pet store will probably not save the animal put the time/energy into saving it... pretty typical of a pet store. Always best to buy from a breeder if possible. Pet stores are typically all about business and finding one with employees who actual know what they're doing is usually an anomaly.

You could take things into your own hands and look up an herp vet in your area (see link). It will put the cost on you, but probably the best chance to save the snake's life. Keep him just a few degrees warmer (warm spot around 95) and make sure water is changed at least daily. Otherwise keep him stress free and be sure husbandry is spot on to allow for recovery. They can often come back from RI's on their own with proper care but this one might need antibiotic (i.e. baytril) help to recover at this point.
    http://herpvetconnection.com

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Trun

Trun Embryo

Well, unfortunately, and I feel really bad about it, but I sent it back and got a different one. Now this one has a terrible mite infestation, and is starting to exhibit RI, in the way it constantly looks upwards towards the sky. No bubbles yet.