QUESTION - about WC Long Nosed Leopard Lizard

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by CODY, Aug 4, 2006.

1. CODY

CODY Member

This question is for anyone who has ever owned a wild caught long nosed leopard lizard
    alright getting to the point
    How long did it take for your leopard lizard to start eating because mine seems to not be wanting to eat anything
    He is very curious and seems to always want to be handled but he has given me a few nasty bites
    well post your suggestions ASAP

Edited by Stormyva - Using a descriptive title will get your thread more attention.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

RE: QUESTION

How big is the leo lizards? what size tank do u have him in? how long have you had it? whats the temp like in his tank? hows his tank setup? and what kinds of food are you trying to give him?

these are just a couple questions to help figure out y hes/she is not eatting.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wrigley

wrigley New Member

Have you tried feeding him anoles? When I first got mine she wasn't very interested in food either but when I threw an anole in there she was all over it. Now she takes crickets or anoles very easily.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lewis_lizard14

lewis_lizard14 New Member

er sick i could never feed a lizard to another lizard but thats probably because i kepp anoles myself so.....

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

I havent tried anoles but he loves fence lizards. I used to catch them in my back yard and he loves them. He also started eatting crix but still love his lizards.

Heres a pic of him eatting his fav food.LoL sorry the pic is kinda blury
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wrigley

wrigley New Member

Sorry Lewis, I love all animals too but I feed them what they need. I raise anoles too so I know what you mean but I do what I have to do.

Cody, how long have you had him? How often does he eat? Are you dusting his crix? If you can get him to eat more crix that'd be great. Try grasshoppers too, they love those.

Your lizard is a cutie Blankminded. How old is he? Is he captive bred or w/c? How long have you had him? I'm getting a male next week to breed to my female next spring. They're fun little lizards to have. I've never been bitten by my female, she is the calmest lizard I've ever known. Here's a couple pics.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. lewis_lizard14

i know and its good that you do what it takes to keep him healthy and nice lizard i would get one but havent got the guts to give it another live lizard lol anyways good luck getting your lizard to feed cody

13. wrigley

wrigley New Member

They are beautiful and fun lizards and they can live on crickets and grasshoppers as long as you dust them. They like to eat other small lizards but don't necessarily have to have them.

14. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

Thanx
    Im not sure how old he is as he was WC. Ive had him for about a year but had to give him up to a friend has i just moved from CA to upstate NY.

They are great lizards and really fun pets. Ive never been bitten by him but have heard it can hurt. GOod luck with ur breeding and let me know how it goes. if you get some babies send some pics my way. :)

15. CODY

CODY Member

Im gonna go get an anole tomorrow and test it out.
    Well mine is pretty calm and loves to dig she can be pretty vicous at times and the two times she has bit me have both drawn blood, and when she bites she doesnt let go. LOL
    well I will post when she eats
    so later

16. wrigley

wrigley New Member

Well, it will be a little while before I have babies Blankminded but I will definitely take lots of pics when I do. I would love to see these adorable lizards become more established in the pet trade. It would be great to see more captive bred babies on the market.

Cody, good luck with the anole. I hope she likes it! My leopard is the reason I started raising anoles. They are too expensive to feed on a regular basis.

17. lewis_lizard14

owwwwwww i saw the exact same lizard in the pet shop today it was sooo cute lol i might get one soon but i am saving up the iguana fund at th moment so mabye i get one, one day hehe :D

18. wrigley

wrigley New Member

You'd be better off buying the leopard lizard and passing on the iguana. Iguanas have huge requirements and aren't good pets. They may start out tame but once they reach sexual maturity (around 2 years) can become quite fierce. They require large, expensive enclosures and lots of supplementation. Leopard lizards are great pets for life and they can live in a 20 long forever.

19. CODY

CODY Member

Hey do your leopard's like dig under there rocks and stay under for a long time? because mine stayed under one rock for pretty much the whole day and night.
    Oh and Lewis you should definatly go with a leopard, they are so great I hold mine all the time and she loves it and they are so active.
    Oh and I still havent got the anole yet but I might today.

20. wrigley

wrigley New Member

No Cody, she only digs at night then she'll sleep in the pit she digs. During the day she pretty much basks on top of the rock under her UV light.

LOL I had quite an experience yesterday morning. I woke up and went to my reptile room to turn on all the lamps and feed the lizards. I saw one of my anoles had somehow gotten out and was sitting right next to her cage. I went to catch her and she got under the tank stand. My cat snuck in the room and saw her and caught her instantly. So I go chasing the cat and he's growling and hissing cuz he doesn't want to give up the anole. Next thing I know he drops it so I go to check it out and it's perfectly fine. I picked it up and put it in with my leopard lizard who wasn't even slightly interested so I just left it in there with her all day yesterday thinking she would eventually eat it. This morning it was still in there so I figured I'd just put it back in with the anoles for now but when I tried to catch it she saw it move and pounced on it and ate it. LOL it was kinda crazy.

21. CODY

CODY Member

She ate an anole, but it wasnt easy because the anole kept biteing her on the nose so I had to pick both of them up and hold the anole down while she ate it but she ended up eating it and her nose was bleeding but now is fine
    so its all good

22. lewis_lizard14

no way i am willing to spend on the iguana and a custom cage has already been built i am willing to care for it and really cant wait to get one thancks for the idea though

23. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Wrigley do you keep anoles like crickets or something?? lol
    I just find it quite weird how you can use them as feeders :? aren't they popular pets?

24. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

wrigley no offence but i fink lewis knows what hes doin, he has loadsa uva animals and he knows how to care for iguanas proply and is willing 2 look after it properly, like i said no offence but if he wants and can care for it then he should get one

25. wrigley

wrigley New Member

Ryan, I do keep anoles for the purpose of feeding my other lizards. I know that's hard for some people to understand but I feed mice to my snakes and some of my lizards so why is that any different? Some people think of mice as pets. I also raise snails to feed to my blue tongues. I don't think of the anoles or the mice or the crickets and snails as pets, any more than I do the meal worms and other bugs that I feed my critters. If you are going to keep meat eating creatures then provide them with the meat they want to eat. It's no big deal.

Luke, that's twice you've chastised me for making suggestions. I never said that Lewis wasn't able to care for an iguana. Lewis didn't take offense at my suggestion, why should you? I'm sure Lewis can care for any animal he sets his mind to. He seems like a smart young man. I was simply telling him that they are very difficult animals to care for and their requirements are much more than some people realize. Believe me when that thing reaches maturity it will be a treat!

Lewis, I wish you lots of luck. The best thing you can do for your iguana is to invest in the Iguana Manual.