question about set up

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Kye, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Kye

Kye Embryo

i have an american green tree frog and i was wondering if i could fill the tank up with water(about 1/18th of the way full...its not too much at all but just enough for the frog to swim in). i have things he can get on top of so he can get out of the water. is this fine or should i avoid it? also the tank is 28 inches long, 18 inches tall, 12 inches wide.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

You really dont want to do that. It being a treefrog, it cant swim very well. All they need is a water dish to soak it at night. My treefrogs come down and soak at night. Just change the water every day to keep it clean and healthy for them.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reptile_Mann

Reptile_Mann New Member

Treefrogs arnt good swimmers, there better for climbing. Nuggular is right, have a water bowl and it keep it clean always, make sure its avable all times.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. theprayerposition

theprayerposition New Member

This could possibly be okay however, the others are right in saying that treefrogs are not good swimmers. The biggest issue is sanitation. Frog's skin is incredibly sensitive and dirty water can cause many health issues, Red Leg being the big one. If you have water filling the aquarium you will have to syphon the water out every day, sometimes twice a day to keep it clean. This takes a lot of time and is really much more hassle than is needed. If you honestly think you can keep the water clean, then i'd say knock yourself out, but really, even if you let that water go for a couple of days, it puts your frogs at serious health risks. So i'd reccommend against it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

No its not ok theprayerposition. Its a treefrog. It needs substrate of somekind. What is it going to catch crickets on. They will just drown in the water. And like I said, being a treefrog, they dont swim, nor do they like to.