Question about reptile carpet

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by dismalfear, Aug 7, 2005.

1. dismalfear

dismalfear New Member

The reptile carpet we get in South Africa has little loops in which the animals' nails can get stuck.

We can get the zoomed repti-carpet but its way too small for my enclosure and too expensive.

I did find another place that sells astro-turf reptile carpet that looks exactly the same as the zoomed stuff, and the reptile carpet in the pic that was on the homepage of Reptile Rooms.

BUT the website says this stuff is made of fiberglass. Is this the case with the zoomed carpet and the other reptile carpet as well?

If all the "non-loopy" reptile carpet is made from fiberglass then I am going to buy the stuff I found, if not I'll find another solution.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

WHat Herp do u have... for a beardie just use Shelf Liner.. or u can try and order some for canada or the states

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dismalfear

dismalfear New Member

Its for a beardie, the shelf liner isnt going to fit into my enclosure design, and I dont mind spending the ectra money for carpet

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

Check out some american sites see if they can ship for u... I could go out and mail u some.. but i duno how u would pay me

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dismalfear

dismalfear New Member

Thanx a lot but my question was whether all reptile carpet is fiberglass based because if they are there is not problem with buying the stuff here

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dismalfear

dismalfear New Member

I would just like to know whether fiberglass based astro turf is safe for reptiles???

12. cowtowncrazer

cowtowncrazer New Member

i dont think so because that the insilation that makes you itchy and i cant find any fiberglass stuff in canada.

13. 82herper

82herper Embryo

The fiberglass would not be safe for reptiles. It may not cause a horrible death immediately, but any little pieces of carpet that get ingested would tear up the internal organs, and possibly build up to cause a fatality.

14. SavannahQueen

SavannahQueen New Member

I say just cut the loops though there are probably quite a few it might be worth it finds mow it lol

15. dismalfear

dismalfear New Member

I totally forgot about this thread. I found the right carpet. website had the name of the carpet wrong, it's not fibreglass, its suppose to be fibregrass. Its a type of outdoor carpet, totally plastic and perfectily safe.

16. kobi2k4

kobi2k4 New Member

hey, I tryed the reptile carpet in with Bubba ( 1 of my beardies ) and he didnt seem to like it all, so I sugest just useing sand whitch both bubba and tricky seem to love ( both of my beardies ) make sure its play sand though ( the one used in kids sand pits ) beardies love it cose they dig in it, just make sure u screen it to get all the big peaces out of it and maybe a diffrant shade of white if u use reptie calcium on ur cricks so they can still see the cricks!!!