question about new crested geckos

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by crewetee, Sep 27, 2004.

1. crewetee

crewetee Embryo

Hello everyone I'm new here. This looks like a great place to help me with crested gecko information.
    My friend is adopting 2 crested geckos and I am helping her make their cages. The main thing I need to know is can they be in a cage with wire mesh or do they have to be in a glass enclosure? She wants wire because she has a very active 5 year old. Our concern is about their feet getting hung in the wire. I've found a wire mess that is very small like window screen wire. Do you think this would work?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I believe mesh would work just fine. Mine walks upside down on his screen top all the time with no trouble and Iv'e heard they are just fien for them. Only downside is humididty goes away a little quicker, but that wont be a probelm. Actually I change my mind, chameleons like wire mesh cages and need high humidity so it should be jusy fine. Ok, so your answer is that is perfectly safe.

Oh, and if both geckos are goin in the same cage, it should measure about 30 long x 12 wide x 18 high. But really height is better prefered, and since its custom. I would go with something more like 24 x 18x 24. Thatd be good.

( sorry, this is kinda hard to understand, I need a vacation)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Charliesgeckos

Charliesgeckos Embryo

That should work just fine. If you are good with acrylic, you could panel the back and sides with that and the front a whole screen with hinged doors. Here are some pictures to kind of give you an idea of what I am talking about...This was not built by me, I bought it (60 bucks...sheesh) and was going to use the original to make others, but have not gotten around to it yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]