Question about my corn's new behavior

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Jujube, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Jujube

Jujube New Member

I adopted Annabelle about 3 weeks ago and everything (besides this latest development which I'll get to) has been fine. She a great eater, cage temps are fine, she has her hides, etc. She's a 3 year old corn snake and was only handled once a week-ish (for feeding) by the breeder so she is somewhat fidgety but improving. When I hold her, she likes to move around and explore or hide in the sleeve of my hoodie, but she's not frantically trying to get away. The only time she was truly flighty was the very first time I took her out but she calmed down after 30 seconds or so.

The past few times I've handled her, it's like a switch flips or she gets spooked (I have no idea) and she becomes hyper and then takes poo on my floor... or me.. haha. I can always tell she's about to leave a present because she studdenly stops moving and stays really still. I've heard this can be a defense mechanism, but she's done this almost consistently the past few times I've held her. She seems to be somewhat familiar with me because she doesn't shirk away or flee when I go to pick her up. So I don't know what started this behavior now..

I'm not upset that she's doing this, I'm just concerned that there may be something wrong underlying this new behavior. She did it once last week, but then 3 times in a row the past 3 days.

Any advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

How soon after feeding her are you holding her?

The general rule is don't handle within 48hrs after feeding (given that she poops, it sounds like you're waiting about that because of the time it takes to digest). Personally, I wait until after the snake's pooped before feeding.

Even if you're waiting the "standard" 48hrs after feeding, if they're getting ready to go to the bathroom, that can make them a lil flighty.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jujube

Jujube New Member

Yeah, I leave her alone for 48 hours after feeding, but she's done this 3 days in a row. I mean, how much can she hold?? Hahaha.. I feed her every Tuesday and handle her at least once a day with the exception of the 48 hours after feeding. I just remember reading that it's a rarity for them to go to the bathroom 3 times in one week, so that's what made wonder if something isn't bothering/frightening her while she's out and about. Maybe she just wants a clean cage.. :wink:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is kinda rare... Sometimes they'll throw out the major chunk, then a lil bit later in the day, or the next day.

It might be a sign of parasites. The fact that she's pooping though is a good thing. It means you can get a sample and pop it down to the vet's.

That's what I'd do. Better to rule out the possibility than for her to have to live with it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Jujube

Jujube New Member

Hmm.. parasites? I really hope not. :) I got her from Don, at South Mountain Reptiles, who is supposedly reputable for breeding and selling tip-top shape snakes. Do you have a sheet or website of information that would have reliable information on this topic? And by parasites, I assume this case would be internal rather than external (ex, mites)? I'll keep a close eye on her. If this keeps up the next few days, I'll make a trip to the vet. Anything to keep her healthy!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yeah, Don has absolutely GREAT snakes (both healthy and gorgeous). Yup, internal parasites - coccidia, pinworm, etc. It's not something to worry about though (if it's treated), these are things that just pop up from time to time. Chances are it didn't even come from Don (although it's possible). More than likely it's come from a prey item - that can be a pretty common problem depending on where your feeders come from.

Freezing usually takes care of most parasites (another reason many promote frozen/thawed rather than live feeding), but even this isn't 100% foolproof.

For what it costs (usually around $10-15), it's worth getting a fecal done just to be sure. If it's not a parasite, at least it rules out the possibility, and if it is a parasite, then chances are you've spotted the problem and can treat it.

12. Jujube

Jujube New Member

I just called Don, and he gave me some excellent pointers that I didn't think to consider. He said it's actually not that unusual for snakes to poop a few times a week, especially if they are in the warmer part of the cage most of the time (which Annabelle is.. on her branch near the cermaic heat emitter). Apparantly some people feed their corns every other day and they grow about an inch to an inch and a half per month as a result of the faster metabolism from higher temps. Given Annabelle's apparent health and hangout, I think a faster metabolism makes a lot of sense in this case, although Don said if anything else pops up, then take her in. So, for now, I think she's just fine.. but if anything else should change in her health, I'll be sure to have her checked for parasites. Thank you very much for your advice! I really appreciate your help.

Cheers.

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

No problem, and please keep us posted. ;)