question about blister disease

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by hvnlyblueangelsky, Dec 30, 2007.

1. hvnlyblueangelsky

hvnlyblueangelsky Embryo

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I look forward to getting to know everyone, from what I've read so far every seems great. We had a Florida Kingsnake but over Thanksgiving we lost him, he got loose in the van on our trip and we didn't find him until it was too late, we still miss him terribly. Anyways, my husband got a new Florida Kingsnake for Christmas from my mother in law. She got him at Petsmart and they warned her that he was mean, he strikes at you and shakes his tail (which is adorable by the way) this wasn't a concern for my husband knowing the snake just needs lots of love and tlc. She bought him on Dec 13 and when we first seen him on Christmas morning my husband noticed on his bottom he had a red spot. Tonight when he picked him up he noticed that the spot looks more red and swollen (not to mention he poo'd on him) we did a little research and found that including the feeding my mother in law gave him he has only ate once in the past month and a half. Right now he is preparing to shed. I looked up our herp vet so I could call them tomorrow. Anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? We really don't want to lose him we love our pets so much! Thanks in advance for any advice. -Jamie

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Welcome!
    How's the little guy doing? Has he shed yet? How is that 'red spot' doing, it could be any number of things really...do you have a pic of it (and the whole snake of course!)?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hvnlyblueangelsky

hvnlyblueangelsky Embryo

Thank you for your reply. Honestly I think he is better, the only thing is he loves to burrow so I don't see him until my husband takes him out. He had him out yesterday (I think, my days run together sometimes) and he didn't strike at him at all, although he rattled his tail, he also didn't poo on him although I gave him paper towel so he was prepared in case he did. I personally think he is done shedding, he looks like he did (to me) and his eyes are back to normal. My husband swears he doesn't think he has shed completely (maybe only a partial shed?) so until our appointment we are just hanging in there, the good thing is he seems to be getting used to my husband and I have seen him out on top during the day on occasion so he is definately curious about us. I will get pics and update very soon. Thank you!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. fpc40

fpc40 New Member

welcome to the forms,
    if you havent seen a shed he havent shedded yea, just before thay shed they look to normal again, if ur snake us about to shed witch it probably is i suggest you leave him burrowd under the substrate and don't handle him cuze sheding = stress and stress leads to parrasites and disease. glad to hear he's doing better.