Q about UVB lights

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Ryan1990, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Are there any cheap UVB lights or do you have to buy the brand name reptile ones? I dont mind but just want to check there isnt a cheaper option i might miss out on. Plus as i am nearing becoming a beardie owner i checked a normal household spotlight lamp today and it looked excatly the same as my red bulb, same size and same shape only the colour was different. I measuered the temp it gave off 10" below and it reached 98F so i might just use one of these as a heat/basking lamp and to brighten up the tank a bit as they ar emuch cheaper.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

I have spoken with almost every bulb manufaturer in the US. Sylvania used to make a bulb that had UVB output but they don't make it any more. About the only way to get UVB is to by a brand name bulb for reptiles. Check out this group in the UK that does testing on all kinds of bulbs to see what the UVB output is http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mmcg

mmcg Embryo

Buy a brand name UV tube.

Don't try and cut corners where your reptiles health is concerned.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

We have been using the ZooMed 10.0 UVB bulbs and have been very happy with them. We are planning on going to the MegaRay bulbs this summer as soon as the new enclosures are built.