Pueblan Milksnake

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by MikeFuture, Aug 6, 2007.

1. MikeFuture

MikeFuture New Member

Just wanted to share some pics of my 0.0.1 Pueblan Milk, and share some pointer on their care.

The Pueblan Milksnake (Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli) is a medium sized subspecies (can get around 3 feet) native to the area around Puebla, Mexico, and is one of the most popular species in the hobby today. There are many morphs available. The snake pictured below is known as the "sock-head" morph because of the white head with a black band across the eyes.

I keep my sub-adult in a plastic sweater box with holes drilled into it for ventilation. Milksnakes like tight spaces so a huge enclosure is not needed even for an adult specimen. The snake may become stressed in a larger enclosure. A simplistic set-up is best in my opinion, and newspaper is my preferred substrate. Other good substrates are paper towel and aspen. A secure hide should be available but don't be surprised when your snake spends most of its time under the substrate. DO NOT house Milks with other snakes. Snakes in the genus Lampropeltis are Ophiophagus (snake-eaters).

Temperatures ranging between 75-85 degrees are ideal, with a bit of a drop at night. I maintain my snake at room temperature, which fluctuates between 75 and 80 degrees. An under tank heater can be utilized to give the enclosure a gradient, giving the snake a choice. No special lighting is needed for these nocturnal serpents. Natural light from a window will do, but do not leave the snake in a room with lights on 24/7.

Clean, fresh water should be available and will supply enough humidity. Some snake owners offer water only a couple times a week, but I do not like depriving my snake of water in that manner. If I notice a high humidity level, I switch to a smaller water dish.

My snake eats 3 f/t fuzzy mice once a week. I prefer to feed my snake smaller meals over adult mice. Remember, Milk snakes are nocturnal and may not eat in bright light or in your presence.

Juvenile Milks can be nervous and quick to musk you but tend to calm down over time with handling. My snake was apparently not handled much by its previous owner and still musks from time to time.

Pueblan Milks are a good beginner snake, but some of the other subspecies are better left to the advanced hobbyist, such as the Scarlet Kingsnake (Lampropeltis triangulum elapsoides).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Great set of info, and what a great looking snake you have there!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reako45

reako45 Member

That's a nice lookin' Pueblan! Good care info & pics too. Still one of the lamprpeltis ssp. I want to get into in the future. How's your snake w/ handling? I like the Pueblan's size, but I've heard that they can be somewhat skittish when handled. I'm considering Pueblans, Mexican & New Mexican Milks.

reako45

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MikeFuture

MikeFuture New Member

My snake was not handled much by its previous owner. It's very flighty when approached and does musk, but does not bite. After a few minutes of handling, it does calm down and will get calmer with regular handling. Its best to start with a hatchling.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. artgecko

artgecko New Member

I have a pueblan and she is fairly tame, not as placid as my corn the pueblan tends to want to slither off and investigate. Mines never musked and never bitten the only thing it has ever done is she once pooed on me in self defense but this was due to her being about to lay i reckon as at the time i didn't know she was pregnant.
    But i nice snake, a managble size but i prefer her as a watch and see snake rather than the first snake i would choose to handle.