Pronounced Underbite

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by thecrewdawg, Oct 20, 2005.

1. thecrewdawg

thecrewdawg Member

I have noticed since I have had my other dragon, that Gandolf has a pretty pronounced underbite. From looking at other pictures of Bearded Dragons, everyone I have seen the upper part of the mouth and the bottom part of the jaw meet together evenly. Gandolf's bottom part of his jaw protrudes out past his upper part of the mouth. Anyone have any ideas? Would his massive growth spirt once he was clear of his bout with parasites have something to do with it?

Here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ~X~KIOKO~X~

~X~KIOKO~X~ New Member

does he seem in pain? maybe you should take him to the vet just to check that everything is ok . sorry i couldnt be much help! i dont know anything about beardies jaws i'm afraid :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. thecrewdawg

thecrewdawg Member

No, he is not in pain at all. Just wondering. Is this a trait of a species of beardies?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

No, its not a trait of a species. Its probably a genetic defect, as long as its not affecting his health i wouldnt worry about it, but i wouldnt breed him

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mr~python

mr~python Member

has he had it since you got him? if not, im thinkin its mouthrout. mouthrout is usually a little more pronounced tough, mybe he's just starting to get it, or its a light case of it

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

i highly doubt it's mouth rot. i would say a combination of a genetic defect and the growth spurt. what was your dusting schedule?
    what is he eating [both green wise and insects wise]

12. thecrewdawg

thecrewdawg Member

He is just over a year old (13 months). And I am having nothing but problems getting him to eat his greens, he will only eat them if hand feed them to him. I offer a mix of collard greens, mustard greens, raddish, red bell pepper, acorn squash, mango, oranges and snap peas. I try to stick to 2 greens, 2 veggies, and 2 fruits in each salad. As far as insects, mainly crickets, but he also gets on occasion superworms and silkworms. I dust everything I feed him with Repcal Calcium w/o D3 ( he has a MVB from Reptile UV) and on Tuesdays and Thursdays he gets his food dusted with Herpavite.

13. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

sounds like he's getting the best care, thou i stay away from citrius fruits. i would definitly sound like a genetic thing. where did you get him?

14. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

You will want to cut out the citrus fruit (oranges) out of his diet. They can cause long-term problems - the acidity is much too high for their stomachs to digest.
    Well, this is what I've read before and personally I've never seen anyone feed oranges to beardies before - so that's why I say to cut it out. Try for a different fruit...however you have mango in there and a great range of veggies. Also, I'm not sure about radish - is it the greens you're feeding him or the red part (root?) Might want to look that one up :)

15. thecrewdawg

thecrewdawg Member

My beardie came from Sandfire Dragons. I don't plan on breeding him, but if I was I think I would be a little upset. I joke with my wife that he has a Bubba Gump lip.

All of the items in the salad have come from the list that is found at

http://home.comcast.net/~holachapulin/Nutrition.html

He only gets the oranges once in a while, along with the raddishes.

16. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

He looks like a boxer!!

If its not hindering his eating, and if you happen across a vet and they rule out mouth issues I say he's fine.