Prolapsed rectum or Cloaca?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Podunk, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Podunk

Podunk Embryo

I just noticed this on my male Leo this morning.

[​IMG]

I have heard of prolapsed rectums before but I have never seen one. Is that what this is? Or is this his Cloaca? I wasn’t sure because he was in with a female and I wasn’t sure if it was part of his "member". I’am making a Vet appointment this morning for him, and I keep all my Leo’s on papertowels so there is no risk of substrate getting in/on it. I was just wondering if someone could give me a heads up on what’s the matter with my guy.

Also if this is indeed his Cloaca do think he will be able to breed again?

Thanks,
    Podunk

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CowboyJoe

CowboyJoe New Member

OH MY GOODNESS!!

That is definantly a prolaps and your gecko needs to see a vet imedatly! we are talking Emergency Room. This could kill your gecko within a day. Keep it clean, he needs to be placed on moist paper towels. Keep the prolaps moist with KY Jelly, Find an emergency vet.

I hope your gecko lives. here is some information about your geckos condition:

http://www.drgecko.com/paraphimosis.htm

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yup, vet ASAP!!

We had a beardy prolapse, and we had a friend come over just last week with a prolapsed ball python...

Both could've easily been fatal without quick vet attention.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JStrider

JStrider Member

eeek poor guy... let us know how it turns out....

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Podunk

Podunk Embryo

I appreciate the responses and concern. It turns out it was a Hemipenal prolapse and not a rectal prolapse. He was in no danger of dying overnight, and only would have passed if infection had set in, and that would have taken some time. Rectal prolapses are quite serious and do require immediate care, a hemipenal prolapse while being serious is not as life threatening. It did take a couple stitches to keep his hemipen in but it was all over relatively quickly and he is on the road to recovery :) .

Thanks again,
    Podunk :twisted:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CowboyJoe

CowboyJoe New Member

I'm glad that your gecko will be ok. I'm sorry if I caused you excesive worry. That is the first prolaps I have ever sceen, and I am not a vet, and not qualifyed to diagnose health problems. I simply gave you the advise that I would have followed myself if that were one of my geckos.

I have been woried about your gecko for two days now, and I am verry happy to here that he is going to be ok. Did the vet say weather or not he will be able to breed again?

12. JStrider

JStrider Member

well im glad he's alright!!

id completely freak if i saw somethin like that on my gecko...

13. Podunk

Podunk Embryo

delete

14. Podunk

Podunk Embryo

Hey Cowboy Joe, that was the first prolpapse I had ever seen also, and believe me I was already extremely worried. No need to fret about the advice though, I participate on a Bearded Dragon forum and would have given the same advice in a similar situation.

As far breeding goes my Vet says he will be able to breed again. She said give him a few weeks off but I think I'll stretch that into a month or two. She even said if it had needed to be amputated he would still have one left and would still be able to get the "job" done. What amazing critters.

Thanks again everyone,
    Podunk :twisted: