Problem with Humidity

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by CWGW1, Feb 21, 2004.

1. CWGW1

CWGW1 Embryo

Hey all....quick question on humidity in the terrarium. I 0.1 ball and I cannot seem to keep the humidity above 40-50%. I have a screen top, and I know thats part of the problem. However, I was wondering two things, 1) Does anyone know of (or use) a humidity device such as a mister with their snake? 2) Where can I get a different top for my terrarium, it's a 50 gallon glass tank, however, geared towards reptiles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

You can cover half or more of the lid with something; I've had great results with foil. How do you heat the tank? How do you test the humidity? What kind of substrate do you use? Cover the hot side and if you use a heat lamp, leave a hole for it to shine though. Mist daily with a spray bottle.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CWGW1

CWGW1 Embryo

since the tank currently sits on the ground, i use a heat lamp (2 x 100watt) on one side of the tank. the nighttime bulb is a 60watt on the opposite side. the substrate is reptibark, and he has two large hide boxes with moss inside on either side of the tank, one underneath the daytime bulbs and one underneath the nighttime bulb. i do mist the tank daily, but until a day or so ago when i turned off my A/C, the humidity would not stay above 40. since i turned my A/C off for part of the day, the level has been between 60-70%, which is ideal. also, i use a dual analog Temp/Hygrom gauge that's dead in the middle of the tank towards the bottom.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

I say cover the lid on the hot side and possibly get a water source under the heat to increase humidity when you aren't spraying. Covering half or more of the lid will help immensely.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dingo

dingo Embryo

i was having the same probs...

check out a gadget called a "Habba Mister" made by zoo-med, they are great!!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. smiles

smiles New Member

Personally, I keep my balls cage at 50% unless its in shed or about to be in shed then I raise it.
    A few things you can do.. move your water dish closer to the heat lamp, directly under it if possible, cover half of your screen top with saran wrap, mist the hides (which you mentioned your already doing). Other than that the next step would be a fogger placed in the water dish or a humidifier.