Prehensile-tailed skink or Casque headed red-eyed skink

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by KLiK, Aug 17, 2004.

1. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

has anyone here had any experience with either the Prehensile-tailed (monkey tailed) skink or Casque headed red-eyed skink. they both seem to be amazing animals and i would love to find out more about them and where i could get one or the other.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

prehensile-tailed skinks are AWESOME! absolutely one of my favorite herps. if you want one as a pet, you have to be as prepared as you would be for a green iguana. also, expect to pay the big bucks. these guys are only legal as captive-bred now and you'd be lucky to find a healthy one for sale for less than $500. often times you can find them for sale for less (especially over at kingsnake.com), but i wouldn't buy one that cheap if you PAID me. probably mal-nourished or missing a leg or something (unless you're into rehabbing - which is AWESOME).

sorry i don't know anything about the casque-headed . . . never even heard of it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

dam $500+ i saw a website where a guy received 3 as rescues and they are in great shape. here is the red-eyed casque-headed skink [​IMG] [​IMG] im not sure if that is the name but i saw it called that on this site http://www.herpafauna.com/pics/skinks/t-gracilis.html

p.s.
    hummingbird you are one of my favorite people on this site. you got a hell of a lot of knowledge and you're really cool. we got off to a bad start but we've settled that greatly lol just figured id put that in lol

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

well thank you very much, klik - that really does mean a lot to me. [​IMG]

and those casque-headed guys ROCK! they are beautiful! very cool.

rescue/adoption of a prehensile-tailed skink (or any lizard, really) would be a GREAT choice. you can adopt/rescue for free or for much cheaper than a prefectly healthy animal. and when you adopt/rescue you often get a LOT more out of it than you would an animal that isn't as 'needy'. glad to hear about the guy that got those great pts's in a rescue situation. that's kind of what i'm hoping will happen to me cuz i'll never be able to afford a pts.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

dont mention it.

i am looking into finding PTS for adoption but i can only find iguana adoptions. i am going to try a store in yonkers call Yonkers Exotics. the owner isn't 100% ok in the head but his animals are in good condition.