possible inner ear infection

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by kirby, Feb 2, 2007.

1. kirby

kirby Embryo

i wrote a post on beardeddragon.org and was just hoping for some more replies or a wider source of advice and knowledge here.. all advice welcome, and help with what is inner ear problems hat may have been caused by below, and what to do, i have been told to put some olive oil on his ears, to lubricate, i havent yet, but i misted him, and made sure his ears were moist and he seem better today.. ill let you know.. THANKS IN ADVANCED..

OWNER INFO
    Is this your first bearded dragon? no, i have had a black soil for four years and three and a half months ago aquired three new centrals..

What area are you located in? sydney, australia

PERSONAL HISTORY (Dragon)

Dragons name: have not named him,

Age, weight and length if you know? about 11-12 inches, around 3.5-4 months old, and weight is normal.. How long with you? since he was 2 weeks old,

What is his condition recently and if it changed, when? usually bright, hungry, active and comfortable around me, loves a snuggle, but recently has done the typical looking up, disorderly movement (as is drnunk) no balance, and symptoms (balnce wise) of middle ear problems, also rolling over and flippign when held..

Is he active, clear eyes and bright? wouldnt say active but not tired or lathargic, he's eyes are clear, but lids were a little droppy, but a bath fixed that..

Is the beard, chest or tail tip darker than the rest or than normal? white and 'happy'

Walking/moving normally? he is now, but yesterday and the day before he was waddlign and other symptoms listed above.

Any physical features that do not appear normal? balance, he's alos shedding, well attempting..

From Breeder or Pet Store (this may make a difference? from a breeder

Has he every been treated by a vet, not yet, but will be getting a fecal done next week mayby

If yes, for what and what meds were used/dosed and time if know?

Basking or sleeping during the day? basking

Is he going to the bathroom, how often? If not, when was the last time? once to twice a day

Is it formed/normal or runny/smelly formed but moist (due to salads being sprayed

Alone or with others? If with others, what sex"? with two other males, BUT they are young, and are not yet territoril, do not fight, and theyre in a 6x2x2 foot melamane enclosure..

Soaking or misting at all and how often? misted some days bathed every two to three, more when shedding

ENCLOSURE
    Set up info tank size? 6x2x2 foot melamane enclosure

Temps -what do you use for heat? a reflector bulb

Basking point? 100-110

Cool area? was arounf 90 :shock: :? but not round 80

What are you measure it with? was using a digital one but lost it will be getting a new one soon, but for now, a normal thermometer.

What Substrate? paper towel

UVB Lights type (detailed) what brand, model, and length or wattage is How old? Reptisun 10.0 UVB, 2 foot long,

How close to UVB light when he bask? 10 inches, but can get closer

What hours for day/night? 14 hrs on, 10 hrs off

Do you use any type of nighttime heat, if so what? no, theres no need to, but some times a warm rice bag

FOOD
    How is his appetite? IS there a change? refused food yesterday and a littl ethe day before but eating today, not up to speed but he had his fill

What size and how many/much insects does he eat? aproprately sized roahes, up to 100 and on freak days over..

What do you feed the insects normally? gutload, carrot and other fruits..

Eating greens/veggies? eats alot compared to other dragons out there, he eats endive, soem squash and beardie pellets and bokchoy and mango sometimes sprinkled over..

Supplements:
    What kind of calcium/how often? rep-cal calcium with D3 and multicitamin, at a ratio of 5:1 mornign feeds, held off the last few days, as i dotn want to rush too much into his system, as it may have someihing to do with it..

How are these given to him? dusted on his feeders
    [/i]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello Kirby,

I bet you didn't think I would be over here!! I thought I would look over your case a bit more.
    Which dragon are you having trouble with, one of the little ones, correct?
    OK. He is about 12 inches long & he is being housed with 2 other dragons, right? You know what I am going to tell you to do don't you?? :lol: Yes, at that size, real soon you are going to have to separate them you do know that, right?? Just making sure. Just a reminder.
    I think with your description, he has probobly gotten overheated with the ambient temps that got too high. Definitely get him rehydrated soon. Use water & pedialyte & get him to drink from a dropper or a syringe.
    Being dehydrated & or overheated, that can cause neurological problems such as balance issues, etc. An inner ear infection is still a possibility, but when you are describing how warm it did get, I am thinking it is probobly going to be dehydration.
    Actually, dehydration & overheating are a large majority of deaths among baby bearded dragons.
    I do want you to lower your calcium to multivitamin ratio back down to the 3:1 that we had discussed so he doesn't get too much calcium which can constipate him. OK?
    Please let me know how he is doing. I hope that I am helping you.

Tracie