Poorly treated iggie

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by 91foxbody, Sep 30, 2006.

1. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

Hey guys, I mostly browse the leo gecko forums, but my roommate has an iggie. He doesn't treat it very well, but not out of spite...just out of ignorance. It doesn't have a basking spot, or a UVB bulb, and its in a 10 gal. Granted, it's very small and young, but I feel bad for the little guy.

First off, he's having problems shedding. I've read that you should spray them with water, and i tried getting a bit off with a Q-tip, but only a bit came off. Some spots even look like bumps..possible sores? I'm trying to teach him and get him to spend the money on him, but it's very slow progress. What should i do to help his shedding? Thanks guys.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. colinu

colinu New Member

I would say get a UV light before much else, I have an iggy that has mild/moderate MBD from a previous owner and it is soo much harder to reverse than it is to prefent in the the first place.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

he bought a "fish tank" combo with the fish light lid, so he doesnt want to buy a mesh top and a UV fixture. im trying, trust me, i am.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. EndVision

EndVision New Member

if he doesnt want to properly care for the animal he should find a new home for it

first off the iguana is not going to shed properly if it is not cared for properly no matter how big the iguana is the minimum required tank is a 55 gallon for proper heat gradients....secondly he NEEDS a basking spot and UVB does he now know he can severly damage the iguana by not letting him have UVB? an iguana is not going to be able to digest its food if its body temp is not right and there is not going to be any way for him to get his body temp up if there is no basking light

your friend may plead ignorance but now you have the information to pass on and if he still fails to do it then he should of never got the animal in the first place if he continues to treat the animal like that find it a new home with someone who knows how to care for the animal its unfair to the ig that your friend is doing this if money is the problem inform him that he is going to be spending ALOT more money to properly house the animal and feed it once its bigger

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

we're both college students. this thing was kind of an impulse purchase for him, and he isnt really aware of the expenses. he thinks a 10 gal will be fine for a few monthes. my buddy when i was a kid had 2 of them, and i know what kind of space is required. i think he may be able to buy some of the things he needs this weekend..hopefully. thanks for the help guys.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. EndVision

EndVision New Member

never buy an ig on "impulse" igs take alot of care and when considering one you should always research before hand

your friend needs to buy a bigger tank asap 10 gallon is way too small

12. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

i didnt buy it bro, my roommate did. I, on the other hand, did a couple weeks worth of research before purchasing my leo.

13. EndVision

EndVision New Member

i know you didnt buy him im sorry if im seeming harsh lol but ive known a few people one whom used to be a friend of mine who got an ig on impulse my friends got to be pretty large i think it was about 3 feet maybe a little bigger and he had it crammed in this tank where it couldnt even turn around it could only lay in the tank and thats it...the whole tank was just a basking spot...no shade or nothing...he refused to listen to me countless times and i even offered to take the animal but in the end i had to report h im because another thing was the ig had obvious signs of MBD (couldnt move its back legs properly and the lower jaw was " shrinking") and he was doing nothing about it, he was even only feeding it lettuce

so i do apologize if im coming off harsh, i just hope your friend does something soon i think its good of you to at least find stuff out about the ig for him

14. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

he is only feeding him lettuce. i bought some calcium with D3+some vitamin (dust) for him to use, its on the way from LLLreptile with all of my leo stuff. what else should it be fed? im trying to do everything for the little guy that i can before he "mans up" and buys what he needs too.

15. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

As a staple he should be fed 2 or 3 of the following greens every meal:
    Collard Greens
    Dandelion Greens
    Arugula

The follow 2 or 3 can be mixed with the greens above. Switching them out every once in a while helps keep them interested in eating more:
    Turnip tops
    Escarole
    Endive
    Chickory
    Mustard Greens
    Watercress
    Swiss Chard
    Mustard Spinach

The following are ok to be used sparingly:
    Kale
    Napa
    Bok Choy
    Beet Greens

The greens should make up most of the died, but other veggies can be mixed throughout for more nutrition and variety:
    Acorn Squash
    Butternut squash
    Parsnips
    Green Beans
    Peas

Fruit are a treat and should only be used in small amounts, once or twice a week:
    Graps
    Strawberries
    Melons
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Mango

16. EndVision

EndVision New Member

exactly what ludothegreat said lettuce is not a good diet for them they need dark greens

i would recommend your friend get the book "iguanas for dummies" its a good book to read when your new to the species

and heres some online information you can look at as well

http://www.baskingspot.com/iguanas/igbook/index.html

http://www.anapsid.org/pdf/icfs.pdf

http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/index.html (scroll to the bottom of the page on this one and there is a bunch of different catergories you can look at such as behavior. size of teeth,what an igs mouth looks like,care and maintence,and also diet good luck)

and on more place online i can HIGHLY suggest you go is another board called www.iguanazone.org its full of alot of knowledgable people who have owned and cared for igs for a very long time...the people there are very friendly and extremely helpful

17. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

WHOA WHOA WHOA!
    NO UVB light? NO hidey-hole?
    LETTUCE?!?!?! :x OMFG
    A 10 gallon aquarium?! Is the Ig to get NO exersise at all?!
    Jaws dont shrink with MBD they swell horribly!!
    People buy Igs on impulse or because they are the least expensive "cool" pet. If ppl only knew the MONEY, TIME, and SPACE they needed to properly keep an Iguana they would just keep opn walking! Igs are NOT dorm room pets!!!
    If your roomie dosnt want to properly care for his "pet" then he should give it away or put it out of his misery!!! That lizard is suffering horribly!! :cry:
    The only thing missing from this HORROR STORY is a heat-rock!!!!!
    Lisa

18. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

And I was YELLING at your ROOMIE not you, Honey! :|

19. EndVision

EndVision New Member

haha my sentiments exactly spiderqueen

you should show this thread to your friend so he can realize all of this and find the ig a proper home, animal shelters do take igs so dont get that wrong idea....tell yoru friend he should get a gold fish or something lol

20. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

:roll: Spare the Goldfish
    Lisa

21. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

obviously, i cant show this to him without creating a civil war in the room. i feel bad though, i take care of the thing, spray it, feed it, whatever, and it doesnt like me..it bites me, but it likes him. i wish i could do something, but he just doesnt know!

22. denise38

denise38 New Member

Way to beat me to the punch Spiderqueen. !

23. 91foxbody

91foxbody Member

im going to suggest to him tonight that if he doesnt want to take care of it that he finds a home. anybody here want it, if he does decide to do that? he won't pay for shipping, i guarantee it. im not promising anything, maybe i can talk him into a pet rock :)

24. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

I dont know what part of the world you are in, but even in North Pole, Alaska we have a a reptile rescue and adoption.
    That Ig needs experienced handlers or he will die. Iguanas get sick very slowly due to thier metabolisms being slow and it takes even longer to reach a period of recovery.
    Good Luck to you and your efforts with your roomate.
    If I were you I would outright steal that Ig and place it with a rescue.
    I would pay him back his $14.99 for the Ig and get him a plastic fish for his set-up.
    Lisa

25. EndVision

EndVision New Member

get a fake ig and put it in there

he probably wont realize it for a while