plz help the lizard noob pick a good 1st lizard

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by chelonianfreek44936, Nov 25, 2005.

1. chelonianfreek44936

chelonianfreek44936 New Member

I have an empty 20gal long and would like to get a lizard. This would be my first lizard so the easier the better but i would like to go with something other than a leo.Something that can be handled would be nice but i can handle (ironic isnt it) a display only lizard.

P.S. any amphibans would be cool 2 i just posted this on the lizard forum because I don't think my sister wouldn't like a snake and my mom says that everybody has to at least tolerate any of my pets. :roll:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. _Exedus60_

_Exedus60_ New Member

Yes.. but try not to get a juvie, juvies tend to be a bit harder to bring up then pre grown lizards. Not saying go out and buy a old grumpy guy lol. Maybe like a middle aged one. The 2 lepard geckos I had were juvies and it did not work out too well. And I have had a lot of lizard experience. Just a thought, dont have to listen but a hint.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. chelonianfreek44936

I have heard that leos make great first lizards but they are everywhere I would like something other than a leo. If there isnt anything else that will fit i will get 1 but I was looking for something a little less played out. I plan to get a leo soon but I would by it another tank unless there isnt another option for the 20gal long. If I do get a leo I will listen to you + migh post questions here to. I dont plan to get what ever its is for another month so ideas are still welcome.
    Thanks for the help.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

African Fat Tails are very similar to Leo's, care is pretty close too....they just need a bit more humidity. They are said to be a bit 'mellower' too, maybe look into them?
    Leo's are just the best though :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. chelonianfreek44936

Other than geckos are there any other good beginer herps that fit in a 20gal long even when they are fully grown.

12. Mike89

Mike89 Member

A corn snake will.....but they obviously aren't lizards.

13. chelonianfreek44936

I would love to have a snake but like i said my sister would freak. :) She is ok with almost anything else so keep the ideas coming plz

14. uhh..yeah

uhh..yeah New Member

definetly a leo

15. Mike89

Mike89 Member

oh i know...a mali uromastyx.

16. LeoGeckos-Rule

LeoGeckos-Rule Member

maybe a beardie

17. Ria

Ria Member

African fat tails are much more docile and easier to handle than leopard geckos. As for beardies, I don't think it would be wise to house one in a 20L for very long. They grow very fast and would need an upgrade in tank size before long. Beardies also need a UV source which puts some people off. If you really can't get a snake, a leo, a fat tail or a beardie would be good first lizard options. Just bear in mind that beardies do require that extra bit of care with UV light, extra space, and have a higher risk of impaction when juvenile compared to a leo or an AFT.

18. heisoktoday

heisoktoday Member

You could get a few Viper Geckos. They grow to be about 4 inches long. I have two and they each have their own 5.5 gallon enclosure. Here's a few pics of them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mike89

Mike89 Member

I say a Mali Uromastyx is still the best choice...he asked for something other than a gecko

20. chelonianfreek44936

Where would I get a mali uromastyx or viper gecko. I will look into both of them. I m still open to suggestions. Something other than a gecko would be nice but looking at my options most of these have been geckos so i might get 1. I m just looking for something a little less common. Keep the ideas coming plz.
    Thanks

21. chelonianfreek44936

Mike,
    i looked on the internet and most sites said that uromasyx need a cage of at leat 50gal when fully grown. I cant afford a cage that size(my allowence only goes so far :( )
    heisoktoday,
    I cant find much on them. any info would help.

I saw an article on an emerald swifts would 1 of them work. new ideas still welcome.

22. Mike89

Mike89 Member

deerfernfarms.com is a great breeder and they have some awesome pictures there too.

23. Mike89

Mike89 Member

Oh :( then i quess a gecko would be your best bet......sorry i didn't see that post before i posted mine.

24. chelonianfreek44936

Do you know if I could fit an emerald swift + if its they are an ok first lizard? Any other options? thanks

25. reptiles4me

reptiles4me New Member

A Mali Uromastyx needs a much bigger than 20 gallon long as an adult. I have a 3 month old Mali now in a 20 gallon and in another month or two he should be ready to upgrade.