Please help my Pacman frof

Discussion in 'General Amphibians' started by TheDude, Apr 21, 2013.

1. TheDude

TheDude Embryo

Hi, I just got a pacman frog about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The frog was a garbage disposal at first but for a little over 2 weeks now has not been eating, I had him on a mixed diet of crickets, night crawlers, pinky's, wax worms, but all of a sudden he has stopped eating. I have him in a terrarium the humidity ranges between 60-80 and the temp is 80 during the day and 70 at night. I was dusting the crickets as well. Now the frog just lets everything walk all over him - literally, he will nip at them and push at them like they are annoying him. I have him on coconut substrate kept moist, he has a water dish and a few fake plants, I have a blue light for amphibians to keep the temp up to 80. I will try to attach a photo of his enviroment with a large size cricket for size comparison I just took it last night. The frog has lost weight and I am concerned for him, I have tried soaking him in luke warm water in a dark place but with no luck. Any help would be appreicated

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hello! I'm sorry to hear about your frog. Your setup sounds and looks good, although 80 is a touch high for humidity. However it is fine if it isn't staying that high for prolonged periods. Also, I can't tell by looking at the picture, but make sure your soil is not overly damp. It should be barely moist to the touch, with no excess water forming pools; the soil should not drip water if you pick it up and squeeze a handful. If you find that this is the case, or if you have gone a while without changing the substrate and disinfecting the habitat, check your frog's underside for any redness. Frogs are prone to bacterial infections commonly known as "red leg," and these can cause a loss of appetite if allowed to progress. If you see any abnormal red/pink coloration to the belly or legs, it is imperative that you find a herp vet in your area, as a bacterial infection can be fatal if left untreated. Two final questions: Has the frog pooped recently? He is a little small to be eating pinkies, so I want to rule out any chance of impaction. If you think this might be the case, continue to give him regular warm water soaks, but you may need to see a vet if the condition does not pass. Finally, can you post a more close up picture of the frog, and possibly some from different angles so I can see the top view and the place where his body meets his legs. Basically I just want to see what his overall weight looks like. You were giving him an good variety of food, but if you were not keeping serving size and frequency to a moderation, he may simply be overweight and living off his fat reserves. These are a very inactive frog and are prone to obesity. Pinkies and wax worms are particularly fattening and if he was given a lot of these, he may not need food for quite a while. A pinky feeding can easily sustain a young frog for a week or two, maybe more. (Again, he's a little small for these, so I'd stop offering those if you haven't already, just until he gets a little bigger.) Try to get back to us on these questions and we'll see if we can be of any help. Hope your frog snaps out of his fasting soon!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. TheDude

TheDude Embryo

I tried warm water soaking today with the honey and another with the pedalite and the frog still behaves the same. The little guy only ate 1 pinky about a month ago he ate a night crawler a week after that and nothing since. He did take a large poop a few days ago and his tank was recently cleaned, I just added a plain surround to the tank so he does not get scared by anything in the room. I checked his belly today no abmormalities noticed. I just misted him and left a cricket a night crawler in there to see if anything gets his attention. I know the soil looks very wet but will look like the other photo in about an hour or so.

Attached Files: