Plants/Vines safe for iguanas??

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Calder, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Calder

Calder Embryo

I'm in the process of finishing my iguanacage, but I'm stuck when it comes to the plants.

I have two Hibiscus growing as trees in there, but I also have a some branches for the iguanas to climb in and I wan't to "green" them up! Does anybody know of a good vine that I can plant, that is safe for the iguanas to eat?

The best choice would be Ficus Pumila, but some say that the sap could be bad for the iguanas - has anybody used it and let their iggs eat of it?

I will also use some Spanish Moss, but it will probably make the branches too grey, so I'm looking for something with green leaves...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

Among the commonly-available houseplants which are poisonous to iguanas are rhododendrons, coleus, caladium, elephant’s ear, philodendron, and oleander. A few common tropical plants are safe for iguana cages. These include pothos, hibiscus, ficus, nasturtium, wandering jew, and phlox. All of these are food sources for the iguana, and all of them will be chewed repeatedly right down to the soil. In addition to being eaten and chewed, live plants will be repeatedly walked on by the iguana, and the leaves and stems will be shredded. Don’t expect them to survive for very long. Within a few days, they will look as though someone has run over them with a tractor.

Source

Here's another helpful site you can go about looking at the toxic plants and the safe and take of it what you will.
    http://www.anapsid.org/mainplants.html

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

I just got a pure red iguana not long ago and i also have a green im thinking about planting lettus and spinish plants right in his encloser just looking for some input

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tiny_Hendrix

Tiny_Hendrix Member

Spinach is very bad for Iguanas. Spinach is high in oxalates which bind calcium and causes MBD. Lettuce really isn't good either, the best greens for Iguanas to eat are Mustard, Collard or Turnip Greens. I wouldn't plant a "garden" in the enclosure. Stick with fake plants or the plants listed above that are "safe" If you also read what I wrote above, the plants you put in will be ate instantly or trampled, so a garden wouldn't grow very long and you would have more of a mess to clean up.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DeadByDesign

DeadByDesign New Member

ive been feeding my iguanas baged salad, bananas (they love them) and those iguana pelets u find at pet stores i just thought it would be more natural and healthyer if they had there own food sorce other than me or mayb im just getting lazy careing for 11 pets plus breeding rats and mice is alot of work but its completely worth it thanks for the input hendrix on a side note do u know anything about breeding iguanas i was gona start a thread but you seem knowlegeable first off i need to know how to sex iguanas

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. cellardoor27

cellardoor27 Embryo

Im actually currently doing this. I have the bottom of him enclosure covered with purely organic soil, and in it i have growing: Corn (sprouts are about 4-7 inches tall), cilantro, beans, peas, cucumbers, and some other things i think. He's only taken a little bite out of the corn sprout, and hes decided to leave it all alone and doesnt really venture to the ground. Maybe he knows theres a garden growing and he doesnt want to disturb it? It is possible right? I mean i had morning glories and he decided to trample them all down and kill them, while leaving the tasty corn grow big and...juicy lol.

check out my youtube video of my set-up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BZUp3ftAI4