Planning on getting a crestie in november

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by spaceboy, Oct 5, 2010.

1. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

I'm probably getting a crestie in november when there is a reptile show here in Sweden. I went to my local petstore (which is great btw) and talked with them about terrariums. They had one on discount for about half the original price, but with a crack in the glass in the bottom.

This is where the post gets tricky; I'm gonna try to translate measurements! :)

for starters, the terrarium now costs about 64 dollars. (450 swedish kronor) which is preetty cheap for a pretty big terrarium!

the measurements in cm is 68 cm high, 68 cm long and 50 cm wide. If im translating it correctly that would be 27" high, 27" long and 20" wide.
    so by using the really helpful glass tank dimensions sticky on the enclosures-page (http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44540) I think that the tank is a... 63 gallon?

Is that a good size for a crestie? Is that even big enough for two cresties?

and is it stupid to buy a tank with a crack in the glass in the bottom just because its cheaper? They said they would help me put silicone in the crack if I want to buy it. And since its for cresties I wont be putting tiles in the bottom, I'll probably put in toiletpaper first and then change to moss or something else appropriate, so it wont be too heavy on the glass bottom.

sry about the long and pretty complicated post, but I hope you guys will lend me some of your time and help me out a bit! :angry:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

By far, im no crestie expert, but from what i've read, that sounds like plenty of room? And as long as the crack isnt a gap, and its fixable AND its going to be covered with substrate? Yeah? Lol i think its great if they are going to discount it, i would def. get it, no like i said i dont know much on cresties
    But, GOODLUCK, and congrats =3
    Anthony,

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spaceboy

yeah thats kind of what I though! I hope someone with more crestie experience can tell me more about how much room it is for a crestie (or two)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tyler12

tyler12 New Member

thats plenty of room for two crestys and yea as long as u can fix that crack i would definetly get that tank, so that all sounds like a good deal!!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Yup, it's about 63 gallons :D Nice size tank! You can put a partition in it if you'd like and have two 30 gallon tanks or you can even put 2 partitions in it and have three 20 gallon tanks... which would be perfect for 3 cresties :)

One adult crestie needs at least 15 gallons, 20 gallons being optimal (keep in mind you want a taller rather than a wider tank). Then if you want a couple of females in the tank together the general rule is 20 gallon for 1 crestie and at least 10 (15 preferably) for any additional cresties. Keep in mind you can't house males together and if you have a male and a female you are going to have to separate them for a couple of months in the year to give her a rest and make sure she isn't being overbred.

good luck! Hope the tank turns out really great! Oh! Make sure you use 100% clear or white silicone - do NOT get one with mold inhibitors, they give off a constant chemical when exposed to water to not have mold growth and it's not toxic to humans b/c its such small doses and I don't know about you but I try not to lick my shower wall, lol, but it could be very toxic to geckos, so just try to find 100% silicone or better yet get aquarium sealant which is 100% silicone and you know it doesn't have any chemicals in it.... good luck!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. spaceboy

Oh wow cool, Dividing it was a really good idea :D I think in that case that I will divide it in two.

And well I'm not sure anymore if I want to get that tank, since there is a crack in it. I mean, its good that its cheap but maybe its better to save up and get a new tank thats NOT broken lol. And I'm having issues with space because I now have 1 beardie-tank and 2 leo-tanks so I'm kinda running out of room in my bedroom. I don't want to put terrariums in any of the other rooms (I want to make sure they're always in a quiet room, plus I spend most of my time in the bedroom, so by keeping them here they wont turn antisocial).
    So I think I'll get a smaller tank, probably a 20 gallon and only have one crestie.

I want to move to a bigger apartment or a house and have a REPTILE ROOM!

12. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

lol good luck with making a reptile room, be sure to post pics. ive got a rat room and i love it lol

and make sure to post up pics when you get your cresty. and just so you know, its really hard to only have one

13. spaceboy

lol yeah I can imagine. But I think its the same thing with all reptiles... its hard to have one leo, and one beardie too! When I got my first leo I was certain that I didn't want any more reptiles. But after about a year I just HAD to get a beardie. and about 6 months after that I just HAD to rescue this leo my boyfriend found online that someone was getting rid of.

..and now I just have to get a crestie! :D

14. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

lol XD its amazing how many reptiles someone can end up with after a couple years

15. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh how true it is... lol. Just be careful not to jump in over your head too soon b/c over the years I have seen a lot of owners here just stop caring for their pets and giving them away or making their parents take care of them because they have to go away to college or they just "grow out of it" or get in over their heads with a breeding program, or something as simple as a living situation changing... But yeah, with that said.... reptiles are very addicting :D Good luck with your new crestie!

16. spaceboy

hehe that is never going to happen. I have my own appartment with my bf and I love my reptiles more than anything in the entire world :D