Picking out a Lizard!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Georgeman, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

Hello my name is George. I need alot of help and will be grateful for any help I get. I want to get a lizard, but my Mother does not like reptiles that much. She told me I could get a lizard that I could handle and that does not grow up to be huge and biting everyone. So I would like to ask what type of lizard is good for a person like me, that can handle it and is a good lizard for a begginer. I need to know alot of things about this reptile that I should get like what it eats and what kind of supplies I need. Iam relying on you guys. Thank you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

i think u have 2 get the d**k out ur azz and find a new pet like dog or cat lol gorge

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

just playing

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

i think a good lizard for bignners is some-thing like a beared dragon or somthing like a gecko or even a water dragon if u search google u can find a lot of info on all the lizards i posed above

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Leopard geckos are usually a good starter reptile. They stay relatively small and require less room than many lizards. They are also less expensive. They have great temperments and usually handle well. There's some good info on them on this site under the caresheets. Bearded Dragons require a lot more space than a leo and if this is your first lizard then I would stick with them. You definitely want something small and manageable for your first herp. If you have any more questions let us know.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

Thank you but do you know how many gal. tank should I get. I can get a 10 gal. easily but would that be enough? Should I get 1 leopard gecko or should I get 2 or 3 of them? Thanks for helping me out.

12. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

yea i think going wit a gecko would be ur best bet like bio said they dont get 2 big but if i were you i would go wit a ball python well this is coming from a snake lover

13. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

Thanks but that still havent answered my two questions :? . Iam definatly getting a Leopard Gecko. I am hearing very good things about them so I'm getting it. If someone can please answer my question i would be satisfied for now.

14. biochic

I would go with about a 15 gallon so you have plenty of room. And it has to have a secure lid. I would start with one gecko (most people don't only put them together for mating only) just so you can get the hang of owning a reptile. Check out the caresheets on this website for some tips.

15. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

I am printing out the caresheets now. Would you know how much a 15 gal. tank is? The lid I want to get is like little wires going across, if you know what I am talking about, would that be good for a leo? Does it need anything to climb on? Thank you for helping me out.

16. rinoa0587

rinoa0587 New Member

i would get a critter keeper but the 15 gal is about 30-40 dollars. thats what i will be using if i get a leo.

17. biochic

10-15 gal tanks are usually under $20 each depending on where you get them. If you mean the lid is screened then that should be okay. Just make sure you have some way to secure it. Some tanks come with sliding screen tops, they're a little more expensive but the work well. Most important is that you have a cage that is secure so the little guy can't get out. Leos really like places to hide, like the half logs and caves. Pet stores have a variety of options when it comes to those. Leos aren't really climbers so I would keep you decorations more in the area of logs, rocks, and plants. Since they are desert lizards they need a good deal of heat. I'm sure that's covered in the caresheets though. But that's one reason the hides are important, so they can go somewhere away from the heat during the day if they wish. You'll also need a shallow water dish and I'd change the water everyday. Most people use undertank heaters for supplemental heat and use paper towels for the lining since it's easier to clean. I hear all kinds of differing viewpoints on that. If you look on anapsid.org there are some good articles on geckos that you might want to read over. Also, you may want to post questions in the gecko board on this site. There are LOTS of gecko owners around that might have some more ideas for you.

18. Georgeman

Georgeman Embryo

Should I get a baby Leopard Gecko? And How much is a Leopard Gecko?

19. rinoa0587

rinoa0587 New Member

checkout some of the breeders through kingsnake.com to get an idea of price and if you want a tame leo you should get a baby so you can work with it. unless you can find one in a shelter near your home that needs a loving owner.

20. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

gorge m not trying 2 be mean but just search google because buying one from a pet store would be a last resort

21. biochic

I think we have some breeders around here, try posting in the leopard gecko forum to see.