Petco? Reptile sand? Not anymore!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Reid, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Reid

Reid Banned

Hey, everyone! As you may or may not know, I work at a Petco here in Texas. After numerous attempts to talk my GM into switching to Repticarpet for the little Herps, I was constantly informed that we could NOT use it. We had to stick with Sand because it was in the PoG. I was extremely dissatisfied with this, I made it my goal to change it. I went to the Petco workers website during one of my lunches and began writing a big essay on why we should NOT keep them on sand. I included the details of what happens when you do, I included pictures and everything. I put my job on the line with going against corporate. I won. I went and checked the notices today and saw I had 2 comments. I had Corporate finally say we can use Repticarpet. They changed the OSS(Basicly the rules and regulations of Petco) to allow Repticarpet.

Now. It's up to YOU. I can only do so much, and I've informed my store and a few others I could contact because of friends working there. It's your turn to help this cause.
    We need YOU to go to your local petco. Tell them to change to Repticarpet. Tell them it's in the OSS now. Be persistent. A GM won't just up and change it right out of nowhere. Tell them they need to store order or store use Repticarpet and put it out. Check back on them in a week or two and see if they did. If not, press more! With your help we can change this! We can make those little herps happy and healthy!! We need everyone! Post this on every reptile site you know, spread the news. Link here, if need be. Let everyone know so those herps can be happy again!!

wren152, lizardgurl87, Karlee and 2 others like this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Nice work Reid!! = )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reid

Reid Banned

Thanks, Uncle Heff :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Luthien

Luthien New Member

This is awesome!! I know the petco near me still uses sand so now I can harass them about it. I'm working on our other stores as well, namely Petsmart and Petland

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. supernova

supernova Member

Great work!! Is it possible to get a PDF of the amended policy? Does this apply to the whole chain? and one more thing, is it mandatory or voluntary for each individual store?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Reid

Reid Banned

I don't think I can get one. I'll try, but don't hold your breath. It's voluntary. It's been changed to either Sand OR Repticarpet. You just need to press enough to get them to do it!

12. Karlee

Karlee Member

Great Job! My Petco uses ReptiCarpet with every animal EXCEPT Leos. I get to yell at people now :p

13. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

congrats!

14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Nice! Congrats on the victory :) My local Petco actually has been using ReptiCarpet for the past couple years. But when I was working at a Petco up in Boston when I was in college I had to actually personally purchase the repticarpet to put in the tanks... that was a bit crazy so I only was able to do it for the leos and the beardies but it helped :) Congrats and keep spreading the word!

15. Reid

Reid Banned

Thanks everyone! Make sure you guys help spread it too! :D

16. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

wow, good job. that was really brave of you, warms my heart :D

17. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

That's so awesome! Great to know people care and are making great changes! :D Next time I go to my "local" one(which I don't get to often), I'll see what they have and if now-make a point of changing also!

18. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Well done!