Parasites?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by UroYoshi, Oct 7, 2008.

1. UroYoshi

UroYoshi Embryo

I just got my baby mali about a week ago. The temperature is mid to upper 80's on cool side and 110-120 basking with an ambient temp of 105(3 thermometers, one in middle and on each side). I have offered greens everyday and the first few days he ate endive, but only leaf head or two. He was very skinny so i gave him a tiny bath of 105 degree water and dropped water on his head untill he drank. He filled up his belly with water and was nice and plump. Now he just sleeps all day, i take him out of his hide and he just lays there. Never coming out to explore or eat food and wont accept food anymore. I enticed him to eat a superworm one day but thats the only time he ate one, he wont eat anymore of them. Could this lethargic lizard have parasites? Maybe it is more along the lines of a brumation but then again why would a baby mali uro brumate when it can't even breed yet? Any suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

Where did he come from? A breeder or a pet store? Is he a wild caught or captive bred?

The behavior you are describing is definately not normal - malis are very active, they should spend time during the day sleeping, basking, running around, eating, climbing....the works. Sleeping all day and acting lethargic is definately abnormal.

What kind of lighting are you using to heat the tank? Do you have a UVB light?

It could be parasites, or any number of other issues...you should find a qualified herp vet and get him checked out and have a fecal checked also.