P.M. Grandis Custom 10 gallon

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by little98dime, Dec 5, 2010.

1. little98dime

little98dime New Member

Hey everyone. I built this tank from 2 damaged 10 gallons. I wanted it to remain rimless. After all, if I am going to build a custom tank, why not give it some character. Since this tank is for a Grandis, there isnt much to it regarding plants and a background. They tend to like the smoother surfaces more, so I left the glass one all sides and put some smooth bamboo pieces for horizontal basking areas. I still need to mount the basking lamp, but that will come after I introduce the happy new owner to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Looks nice = ) I'm sure that the little guy will love it! Always liked day geckos... Grandis would probably be my first pick if I ever decide to pick one up.

I'd really like to see this as the plants start to grow and come in to absorb some of the space - the horizontal perches are brilliant. I think a background on this puppy would be bad*** , but thats just my opinion.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. little98dime

little98dime New Member

Thanks. I have alot of other plants that would do well in there, one of which being some lucky bamboo. I may pick up some taller sanservia from the local nursery.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Wow! that looks awesome! I love live vivs... great idea with keeping it rimless, brings something else to it :p I have a couple of tanks I'd like to cannibalize.... I have no problem cutting plexi or lexan but glass has always intimidated me. How hard was it? did you practice at all before going for it with the tank?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. little98dime

little98dime New Member

I have done a few other tanks that required cutting glass, but really its quite easy. I watched ALOT (30+) videos of how to cut glass as well as drilling holes in glass before ever even buying the supplies. you just need to make sure that you have a rubber backed straight edge, cutter, and oil. I use a black grease pencil to mark my cuts too though. The main thing is to apply even, firm pressure throughout the duration of the cut. it should sound like you are tearing silk. then grab the glass on each side of the cut and lift the cut upward to split.