Ouch, First Bite...

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Robudda723, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Robudda723

Robudda723 Embryo

I received my first bite from Claymore my Sav Monitor. Wow what a punch, can imagine what full grown would feel like. Yes drew blood but cleaned well. I read to start by laying your hand flat to get him use to you and see if he wips or acts scared, well he walked up all calm checked it out and WAM, he got my finger. LOL. Well I am happy cause he is not scared and is aggressive as monitors should be from the research I have done. Then also realized I just feed him minutes before so probably a bad time to stick my hand in the tank. Once I get the new cage built this will be used as his feeding tank. Anyway he is eating about a mouse a day seems very alert and healthy. People want to watch him eat, then say no,no, as they watch the feeding between there fingers over there face...LOL

Rob

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Reptikeeps101

Reptikeeps101 New Member

did he bite and let go or he held on? lol Im afraid to be bit by mine.lol

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Robudda723

Robudda723 Embryo

No he didn't let go for about 10 seconds, I went to pull away and he came with LOL.

Rob

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dekor

dekor New Member

How big is he now? Ouch must have smart. Luckily Loki hasn't ever gone for me, hissed at me once when I first got him. He often investigates my fingers and dismisses them as food! Although he seems alot more curious if I have just been handling fuzzies so I tend to keep away from him!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mkbailey755

mkbailey755 New Member

Gloves are a wonderful thing

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lllxtclll

lllxtclll New Member

Thats the last thing I would recomend...If I put my hand in my monitors tank..gloves or not....he's gonna run towards you and try to bite. I recommend a good leather glove...that covers at least some of yor arm as well. My monitor is only about 2 feet, but holy cow...the crushing strength along of his jaws with gloves on is enough to make an "OUCH" not to forget that they dont just bite, they like to munch. Your lucky yours let go so fast. I've had mine hold on for almost 3 minutes before.

12. Marquois2000

Marquois2000 Embryo

lol i have a baby sav and a 3 ft rough neck....but the only reptile i've been bitten by is a iguana lol...bit me and fell asleep, locked on

13. NawazSudan

NawazSudan Embryo

I have a few Nile Monitors, one medium sized one bit me, took my nail Off!!!

Painful...

Nawaz

14. tomtom

tomtom New Member

I had a sav that bit me once, he drew blood and left scars. He didnt let go for about 5 minutes until I rubbed vinager on his mouth.
    I have a new baby one that has never threatened to bite or hissed or anything, Im hoping it stays that way!

15. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

I've only ever had a leopard gecko nip me for like 1 second and a betta fish jumping for food and catching my hand for about 3 seconds :(

16. pbcrazy187

pbcrazy187 Embryo

Haha dont you just love lizard bites. my two and half foot savana bit me one time. It was my first bite and i had no clue how to get him off so i just sat there for an hour and ten minutes haha. there was alot of blood and scaring but other than that no real damage haha.
    Then i got bit by a five foot iguana and that almost took my finger off haha.
    I will see if i can find any pictures

17. Butters1101

Butters1101 Embryo

i have a Peach Throat that is mean as hell (thats just kinda how they are) hes only about a foot w/o his tail but he caught me without my gloves on the other day and it demanded stitches.

18. Butters1101

Butters1101 Embryo

i was bit again tonight. i'll post pics later

19. jflizi1458

jflizi1458 New Member

Mine is all show he hisses and tail whips but once i pick him up hes like a baby and hes about 2 feet long. We have only had him for about 2 months maybe a little longer but hes just now warming up to us...which is pretty good knowing that he came from a stoner idiot that liked to get high and torment him.

Attached Files:

20. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Well I went to adopt a "free" nile monitor from a breeder who was just going to euthanize it since he was low on money and couldn't care for it. I had done all my research and had a cage set up at my house to house the monitor. So we went to go pick it up and my mom drove me over. So he had told us that the monitor was completely tame (this wasn't true and he forgot to mention the monitor hadn't eaten in a awhile since it had been refusing to eat hence why the breeder was euthanizing it).

Having dealt with dangerous animals before I cautious put on a strong leather glove (too bad it wasn't a full arm glove). This was an almost full grown animal so I was trying to be really cautious. I have been bitten by a chinese alligator and that sent me to the hospital but that is a completely different story. Not the best surprise for your 14th birthday. But back to the monitor story, so I was there and cautiously reached into the cage and slowly lifted the monitor out. It was really sick and barely moved, I preceded to pick it up and transfer it to a box I was transporting it in.

During this the monitor had slowly started to wake up, seeing my arm as a nice juicy piece of meat it grabbed on and wouldn't let go. Thank goodness the monitor was week from not a lot of food and it didn't pierce my skin but it wouldn't let go without causing damage to my arm or hurting the monitor. So I knew a vet that works at the animal hospital down the street so we went there. Of course can you just imagine a kid walking into an animal hospital with a nile monitor hanging from his arm?

We calmly sat in the waiting area until the vet rushed out and he pulled out some kind of scents and a pair of pliers. We had to really force the monitor off but after awhile it just let go. Of course my mom was freaking out and made me give up the monitor to the veterinarian who helped us. The vet was really nice though and offered to buy the fully set up cage from me for the market price. So it turned out okay in the end. Th monitor is now given a good home and which I know pictures of this will show up at my graduation and my parents will never forget.

21. BooBah

BooBah New Member

when my tegu was little she used to bite me all the time and after a while she didnt bite me anymore, it made me sad cuz i kinda liked it she hasnt even made and attempt to bite me for like 6 months but i dont think id like to get bit by a sav my brothers is 2 foot and he freaks me out cuz i think he hates me