not looking too good??

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by mohikan22, Nov 19, 2004.

1. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

ive just received my iggy froma freind whom had him/her for about 8-10 yrs. but to me he doesnt look too good??? hasnt eaten in 2 days !! although i realise hes in new surroundings and a new tank.? any ideas?
    http://www.mohikan22.co.uk/DSC01750.JPG (alt+p)

http://www.mohikan22.co.uk/DSC01752.JPG (alt+p)
    apologies for the pix being so big :lol:

Edited 11/20/04 due to size, if you resize them and want to repost the pictures, email the URL to the administrator axe@reptilerooms.com. 640 pixels along its longest edge (eg, 640x480, or 480x640 portrait style) and he will report the pics. Sorry, this is just to hard on dialup users to load

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

OK, so I replied to this already and then accidentally deleted it. So I'm shortening it for my own sanity! LOL!
    Her spines by her head have been badly broken. She has some retain caps on some spines, at least it looks like it to me. Her cage is WAY to small. It should be at least 6ft H x 6ft W x 4ft D, at least. Larger would be better, maybe 8 ft high. They really need a LOT of room. What are you feeding her? Her diet should be at least 70% vegetation and 30% fruits. No insects, no dog food, very little protein. She needs a UVA/UVB bulb and the humidity should be around 70-80%, but the cage should never stay wet. You should take her to the vet for a wellness check-up just to be safe and get a fecal flotation done (so save her most recent feces and take with you). Check out Melissa Kaplan's site anapsid.org and her book Iguanas for Dummies and James Hatfield's book Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual. She looks fairly healthy though, but you should know, they need a lot of space for housing, should never be allowed free roam of the house or yard, can be aggressive, and eat a ton of food. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into and we're here to answer your questions and help as much as we can. Good luck!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

ok thx for the advice although most of it i know. she/he eats veg with its minerals/minerals ok. comes out happily ot did today first time out in new house no problems with him. like i said i only just got him. so yes i take note he needs a bigger house ;) It does have a uvb bulb and a heat lamp too humidity is also good as i spray water on the sides and in the tank at least 4 times a day when i see no more water on the sides. :lol: