Northern Water Snake

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by kelgrl65, Aug 18, 2006.

1. kelgrl65

kelgrl65 New Member

My son came home from the park with a snake he found! Gotta love em :)

Anyway, turns out it's a Norhtern Water Snake and the boy wants to keep him. Anyone have a clue how to take care of this guy or should we just go put him back where we found him?

He's just a baby, only about a foot long - I set him up in a 20 tall tank with a bowl of water, a rock cave and a branch to climb on, did some searching and know what to feed em, but don't know if he'll be ok keeping him here captive. Do they need UVB? Anyone else keep these guys as pets?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

Personally I think you should as you said release him where you found him. Wild animals shouldnt be kept as pets. If he is really interested in keeping a reptile for a pet (and you are commited to do all the proper care when he looses interest) there are many captive bread snakes out there to choose from. Depending on how big the ares you live in is try to find a reptile rescue organization to adopt one from. Believe me nothing feels better than knowing you took in an animal that desperately needed your care. Capturing a wild animal and making it your pet is not in the best interests for that poor creature. Keep us updated on your decision. We love happy endings! ~Amelia
    PS Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help
    http://www.petfinder.com/

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kelgrl65

kelgrl65 New Member

Well, I decided to take him back to the park and let him go. I feel the same way about taking wild animals into the home. The boys are always bringing some critter home! We usually keep them a couple days, look up info about them then take them back to where they were found.

We already have 2 corns, a bearded dragon, a hermit crab, 55gal community fish tank, cat and a dog! Don't really need to have any more critters here. He'll be disappointed when he gets home and it's gone, but the lil snake, I'm sure, is quite happy now!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Leona&Amy

Wow! You do have a lot going on there! I am glad to hear you set him free. Im sure your son will be disappointed but you did the right thing.
    How do you like your corns? Im thinking of getting a corn or king thats why Im lurking around here.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kelgrl65

kelgrl65 New Member

OH the corns are great! they are a real nice snake to own especially if you have kids. They both love to be handled and are quite calm. Neither one has ever bitten or struck at anyone. I like them because they won't get huge like pythons and boa's will. They have so many color variations - truely a beautiful snake. Even my father, who HATES snakes agees they are both very pretty!

I got them as adults, the male was from my ex who didn't want to keep him anymore and the female was given to me by an aquaintance from work who also didn't want her anymore. I don't really consider them rescues because they were both well taken care of, but they were unwanted just the same.

We have fun with them, great conversation starter when we take them out for exercise - neighbors think I'm a nut!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Leona&Amy

Cool! Thanks kelgrl. Ive been wanting to adopt one. Although I have a breeder in town ( http://evergreenreptiles.com/ ) who Ive heard great things about. So if Im not able to rescue one Ill probably end up buying one. Good luck with all your babies!

12. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

i like corns and kings. corns are best if youve never had snakes before but i kinda like kings better quite interesting

13. jenphilly

jenphilly New Member

I'll throw my 2 cents in here! Corns are great, wonderful 1st time snakes and usually quite kid friendly. I know people recommend kings as a first snake, but to be honest, I've never meet a king that was any near as friendly as a corn. Don't want to start a war over kings being good or bad, but being a mom, I highly recommend if you have young boys, don't think about a kingsnake - go with a corn. They are awesome first snakes and come in so many great colors, your boys will have a blast picking someone out! If you are snake experienced, ball pythons are also wonderful snakes, we have quite a few in our home, but not nearly as easy a keeper as corns.

Just my 2 cents.... good luck!!

Jen

14. chimpkin

chimpkin Embryo

You made the right choice. I have dealt with and handled many northern water snakes in my time. Those snakes are usually very mean and an adult can really hurt you when they bite. They bite you and then jerk so that they cut you. I had an adult nail me a couple of times and I had blood running everywhere.

Other than the biting they are fairly easy captives. I kept them in a 40 gallon breeder size with a huge water bowl. They will readily eat feeder fish that you place in their water bowl and also mice.

15. mattdlite

mattdlite New Member

funny, i had almost caught what i thought was a corn snake, but i then saw it submerge itself into the water and swim along the bottom for a whaile. then a couple hours later i saw it stick its head above the water againand i followed it until i saw it eat some of the dead minnows we had tossed on the edge of the shore. we used them for fishing and then tossed the dead ones. it was pretty cool. i never coaught it though. theyre pretty fast in the water and i was a little reluctant as i had a full grown adult strike at me one time