Northern Pine VS. Bull snake

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by downhillbikin, Nov 4, 2005.

1. downhillbikin

downhillbikin Member

I have been trying to decide between these two. Any suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reako45

reako45 Member

What would be the determining factor for you getting either 1? Similar in size. They're both Pituophis sp. so care's pretty similar. I keep their smaller cousin= Pituophis catenifer catenifer = Pacific Gopher snake. Easy to care for. Pines seem naturally more variable in pattern. I like the Black pines. Most Bulls I've seen are pretty uniform in color unless you go way out and buy one of the designer patterns. When you finally do decide welcome to the small and elite family of Pituophis keepers. LOL!

reako45

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Hey Dirtbikin, I would recommend the bull snake. I had a pair for a while, they were a little wild when first brought out, but very impressive snakes. When I got rid of my pair the female was a good 7ft with the male around 5 1/2 ft. I am a big fan of all types of Pituophis, so whatever you pick it will be a good one! later

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Pine snakes are my favorite, I love their coloration, but either will make a good pet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JoshMueller

JoshMueller New Member

Go with the bull snake, it is a cousin to my western hog nose and my "Pig" is one of my favorite snakes....

Later Dude

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Bull snake! Bull snake! lol

12. HayabusaBob

HayabusaBob New Member

My best snake is a true Florida Pine. Incredible reptile with an amazing personality. I caught him in the wild and you're only allowed to have one as they are protected by state law.

13. kinsey

kinsey Embryo

i would go with whichever is more to your fancy. if you want color go for the pine for sre. i dont want to be biased but i say the pine because i have a gopher and shes great! have fun with whichever you choose!