Nile monitors

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by c3powil, May 5, 2011.

1. c3powil

c3powil New Member

This is my first post in here since.... a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), and never have I posted in this forumset. Wow, has this place changed(visually)!
    Anyway, about two years ago my iguana, Joulio, escaped from the house and I havent seen him since. I loved the little guy, and I like to think that I saved him from a horribly kept pet store. Just now I've been searching for a new pet, one that would require little handling and not have to be fed every single day since ill be living in my college apartment for the next couple of years. So Ive been on the hunt for Veiled chameleons; I LOVE chameleons. And through my research Ive come to the conclusion that I love something more.... Nile Monitors! I know that I wont be able to keep a monitor, especially not a nile, until I have a more stable environment and am able to give my pets more attention, however Im completely infatuated with them. I would like to know a couple of things: Would successfully caring for and treating a sick green iguana (mine had MBD) for around 4 years qualify me with the experience enough to potentially care for a nile? How do niles interact with other pets? (Say... savana or F1 Servals) And lastly, would you reccomend a nile to someone like me in a few years? (ie, just founding a stable home, college classes, low income)
    Thanks guys, if you feel afraid to be negative with me, dont be.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SavBoy

SavBoy Embryo

I would say no. Niles are less tameable then say savs or ackies from what I have read/been told, need huge enclosures with controlled enviroments, cost a lot to feed, live a long time and are labeled advanced monitors. Savs are labled beginners and mine has been a ton of work I can't imagine a harder lizard to care for. Friend at a petstores friend (yeah I know) has one and he has an entire room dedicated to it. Two major problems are just starting a home (buying?) And low income. I'm on a low fixed income and have had to eat ramen noodles for a month to get a larger tank I can't imagine something like a nile. But knowing what you want now gives you time to research more and more so when you get it you will truely know what's going on, problems to watch for, and save cash for the cost of housing it. I'm all about breeding ones own food so you have a stready supply and have quality control, plus it saves money. With time you can/will know about the breeders you need as well.