Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by MintyHippo, Jun 6, 2005.

1. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

All right I'm thinking of getting a monitor what would be good for a beginner? :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

ackie, sav, or tegu. Are all good statters for larger lizards

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ryzard

ryzard New Member

sav because they are very easy to tame. Otherwise I would go w/ an argentine black&white tegu, but they do get large, so i would definetly go w/ a blue tegu. they are dog tame and awesome.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

Are there anything other than those I've read books on them is there any other ones?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

look into ackie's (ridge tail monitor) they only get about 2.5 feet, and are very tameable.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

How much would a blue tegu cost?

12. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

around 250-350 on kingsnake.com

13. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

One thing I recommend against for a beginner is a Columbian black tegu. They're the ones you generally see in pet stores, also the cheapest. They get very large and are not easily tamed. Sure, it can be done but to my mind they are not suitable for a beginner.

14. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

thats a little out of my range how about timors 149.99 or savs are like 19.99 at animal jungle near me?

15. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

A sav is a good choice, dunno much about timors but I've heard they're good also.

16. ryzard

ryzard New Member

columbians don't get as big as argentines.... but yes, they are more of a challenge, probably equivalent to a blackthroat monitor compared to a sav. I would definetly go w/ a savannah, they are awesome pets and are highly recommended. they have great personalities and are still pretty big enough to rough-house w/ :-P

17. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

How about a argus are they any good?

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

19. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

From that care sheet:

"Size And Temper Of An Argus Monitor

Argus monitors can grow to be anywhere from 3.5 feet in females to 4.0-5.0 feet in males. They are a fairly large monitor both because of the robust appendages and because of the bold personality. A large Argus that is not used to being held will be a challenge to handle. Most Arguses will put on quite a show when you reach to pick them up. This can include hissing, tail lashing and tri-podding. As well, they may lunge at the keeper with open mouths and grab hold of the closest piece of flesh. If you acquire a hatchling to juvenile and handle it on a regular basis it will most likely calm down to the point that it will no longer try to bite you or tail lash anymore. More likely than not an Argus will not tolerate prolonged handling and will scratch and squirm in order to get free. Don't expect a typical Water or Savannah monitor from an Argus. Tame for an Argus is not the same as it is for the previously mentioned monitors. Research as much as possible before you buy. "

This might seem to indicate that this might not be a great beginner's lizard?

20. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

I'm not a newb to reptiles just to monitors I like the argus I might get one.

21. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Good luck.

22. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

I'm not a newb to reptiles just to monitors I like the argus are there any other kind like maybe a ionide or a roughneck or something else?

23. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I'm not trying to talk you out of a monitor, they're great herps. My only thought is that you'd be better off starting with something a bit smaller. A big monitor or tegu is a serious handful, requires a ton of space, and can be difficult and even dangerous to handle.

24. ryzard

ryzard New Member

roughnecks are cool, you only have to have vertical space for them & it saves alot of ground space

25. ryzard

ryzard New Member

go get the new Reptiles magazine (august issue) and it features all about timor & dwarf monitors. It also has a section about breeding savs