New to Uro

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by OtepFan616, Jan 31, 2009.

1. OtepFan616

OtepFan616 Embryo

K well yesterday We went and bought a uro for $75 included everything....well supposed to. He had one hide and his food bowl....no UVB and only an infread light. well I have been into keeping reptiles for a while...so I have extra lights and hides and bigger cages ect.... He is in shedding, and also the base of his tale is missing. I read they dont grow back. It looks like it happened a while ago and nothing seems wrong with it. Well we got him/her all set up got his temps right new hides and a new set of lights a daybulb for his basking spot and an extra UVB i had. Just have a few questions i guess. He/she is kinda red and black, she has spots kinda similer to my rainbow boas. Also Orange in spots. I will be trying to get a pic up but that could take weeks...camera still broke. But from that description can anyone tell what type of uro she/he is? also on the butt its like its body goes completely white....where his vent is. Is that normal? also Like the rest of the animals I have had the require and aclamation period....he/she is just kinda sleeping today...how long will that period last? also I read that they shed differently then any of the animals I have had. I just got him yesterday so I cant tell when he started shedding....But at what point in time will I want to help? if at all?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum and the world of uro's :wub:
    You say you have experience with reps but I would like to list the basics, if you already know this I apologize, we have has so many lately that have been given the wrong info on keeping them.

Tank...48x24x24 or a 75G is really the minimum size needed.
    Temps.... A basking spot of 120°F to 130°F
    Warm end around 95° to 100°
    Cool end 80-85°F
    With a night-time drop to 75°F
    It is very difficult to achieve this with anything smaller than mentioned above.
    A high output UVB tube 10% UV or a combined heat/UV lamp an MVB (mercury vapour ballast), along with the heat lamp to get temps up. These should be on 12 hrs a day followed by 12 hrs of dark.
    They are strictly veggie eaters and do not need insects.
    No waterbowl, they get all their water from the veg.
    Also never soak in water it will cause respiratory problems.
    If you know this I'm sorry if I have repeated it.

Did you buy from a "petshop" ?
    Most species available through shops are Sarahan, Mali's and Egyptian with occassionally other species, ther are 13 of them.
    We can rule out egyptian as they are very plain with no colour markings.
    Take a look at the topic below on here "Let's see your uro's" there are a few pics of different species, also have a look at Deer fern farms under "Species Available".
    It would also be a good idea to read the caresheet on this site, if you haven't already, it's about the best sheet going regards care.

You are correct, it's tail wont grow back, as long as it's healed ok, there shouldn't be any problems, just keep an eye on it though.

Shedding can take as long as a month or more, specially the tail, as you will notice it comes off a bit at a time, this is all normal and doesn't usually require any assistance. Never be tempted to pull any loose skin off.
    They are much paler on belly, I'm not totally sure about that white spot at vent, is there any sign of infection near the vent, does it seem swollen or spongy.
    It would be a very good idea to take the next poop sample to a vet for testing, to rules out parasites etc.
    The best thing right now is to leave him in peace to settle in, just put fresh food in daily and remove any poop etc, it could take some time, depending on what the conditions were before you got him.
    I keep calling it "him" far better than "it" ...:D...sexing is very hard and I wouldn't like to guess.
    Hope this helps, just post with any questions you need answers to and we will help all we can.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. OtepFan616

OtepFan616 Embryo

Thank you very much. Even just yesterday and today under the UVB and his colors just seem to pop alot more.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

A good UVB makes all the difference to health and colour, really brings out their natural colours.

Theres a vid on Youtube showing my egyptian it's 8 mins long, was taken after a few months with me, he is much bigger now 11" long and 200+grams
    Spike

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. OtepFan616

OtepFan616 Embryo

Ok This looks bad. All of my other reptiles poo usually is black and white u know the normal. But my Uro pooped just like 20 minutes ago and there was the white and black but some of it was a bright yellow. Bad sign for a uro? Time for a fecel?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

If you can save that, then a fecal would be best.
    I've never heard or seen anything like that before, unless it's something he had in food. Did or have you fed anything different lately, like fruit?
    My first thing would be a vet check with it, it's the only real way of knowing, if you cant get to vet this weekend keep in fridge, do not freeze it that would destroy anything in there.
    On the other hand it may just be the change in enviroment from bad to good.
    Vet is best way to go.
    Please keep us informed on his progress and the results.

12. OtepFan616

OtepFan616 Embryo

thanks thanks. You can really tell that after he is adjusted his colors will be out more then ever. It was funny, acted as if the white light was something new at first and shyed away. It was kept in a dark room. I am going to try and get my brother to bring his camera over sometime. He has a really sweet personality and is active, eating greens great. I hope he is alright. i'll let you know and again thank you. :D

13. bruno

bruno Moderator

Sounds great, it's beginning to look like the previous conditions he was kept in that caused the yellow poo, I would still get it checked as a precaution, it's also a good idea to have a check once a year.
    The fact he's eating his greens is also a very good sign and that he's now got access to proper UV.
    Lizards very often do carry some parasites, this is normal, a healthy liz will control them by passing the eggs in their feaces, hence the need to keep cage clean to stop him ingesting them again. A lizard that is sick doesn't pass them, hence the build-up and that when the problems start.
    Well done for everything you have done so far.

14. OtepFan616

OtepFan616 Embryo

Well finally seen a pic of a uro that looks strikingly similar to ours. He is a Saharan Orange.

15. bruno

bruno Moderator

That's good, those Saharan's have very striking colours.

16. OtepFan616

OtepFan616 Embryo

She is doing alot better. Eating like no tommorow. Color really great. When I got her she was in red calcium sand so I swithed it to childrens washed play sand. I know that she isnt red...like her feet...its just dyed from the sand. Any way to get this to go away faster?

17. bruno

bruno Moderator

That's fantastic news :D the fact she's eating a lot is the best sign ever that things are now right.
    There is nothing you can do about the dye on feet etc, it will eventually go away, specially after she sheds, may take other shed yet before it all goes, it will also wear off on new sand.

18. OtepFan616

OtepFan616 Embryo

koolness. She is a really good eater. Right now I have her on collard greens, dandilion greens, carrots shreded, or greenbreans shreded, or squash. They gave me what looked like a bag of mixing for salad in a container when I got her. Well she didnt get anymore of that when she came here. The Iguana already gets her greens so it was easy. she sleeps alot thou is that ok? like she will fall asleep like 3 times outta the day.

19. bruno

bruno Moderator

I think the sleeping is normal, digesting her food etc, and getting used to her new enviroment, mine is always taking naps during day.
    You may like to add to diet Endives and Escarole both are excellent foods with the correct balance of calcium/phosphorus or anything that's chicory based. Spring salad mix is OK as well, just make sure it has plenty of the 2 mentioned above in it.