new to the corn section...what kind of morph is it?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by babybub, Apr 30, 2006.

1. babybub

babybub Member

ok i am a new corn snake owner...i have a ball python, but i just wanted to show you guys spam...introduce ourselves...

p.s. does anyone know what kind of morph this is?

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MAtt!123

MAtt!123 Member

I don't know what morph he is, but he looks very cool! 8) :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. babybub

babybub Member

yeah...pretty baby

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MAtt!123

MAtt!123 Member

Looks like a banded or striped corn, but I'm not sure of the morph.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

You know, I've got to say I dont think I've ever seen a grey corn like that before..you have any close-up pics of the patterns, face and color?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

Lavender? It's not a banded. The color says Lav, but the pattern is definetly a Motley Stripe (Atleast the first half of the body). It seems like a new morph. Or atleast one I've never seen before.

More pictures would help.

Anyway, congrats on the addition! It's beautiful.

12. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Nice! Congrats :) I would say anery stripe, but then I don't have my contacts in lol!

13. babybub

babybub Member

hmmm yeah
    but i have to wait to get batteries for my cam...morrow i will put more pics up!

14. Blackrose

Blackrose Embryo

It look like a pattern less anery (photo from http://www.halloffamereptiles.com/corn.htm)

[​IMG]

but it got mixed with stripe and/or motley, both of these are co-dominant (that means that the gene still shows even if its het) but het. stripe usualy only shows as a connected saddle or 2, never to that extrem, good luck, you should think of a cool name for it now.

15. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Too late..she's calling it Spam :) LOl! Babybub..you're a nutter :)

16. babybub

babybub Member

lolz...you know you wish you could name urs that!!! maybe you could name ur next snake rice...they could be a pair!! :wink:

17. babybub

babybub Member

thanxz blackrose...know i can say i know what it is!! lolz
    I just looked at the price for them....
    and to think i got it for $27....i think i just got one of the best deals!

18. DragonCharmTwo

DragonCharmTwo Member

It looks like an Anery Stripe, possible Motley/Stripe, but you can't say for sure without breeding trials in the future.

19. DragonCharmTwo

DragonCharmTwo Member

The Stripe and Motley traits are not co-dominant. They are recessive. If you breed a Motley or Stripe to a Normal, then the offspring will be hets but will not show it at all. However, according to the Corn Snake Morph Guide, when a Stripe and Motley are bred together, instead of winding up with het for both offspring that look normal, they are born with an integrade between the two traits, called the Motley/Stripe trait. That suggests that the genes responsible for both the Motley and Stripe traits are compatible in some way.

After doing a bit of research on Rich Zuchowski's forum, it seems that the "Vanishing" trait shows up with Stripes and that it seems to be heritable somehow, but it's not definate yet exactly how. Either way, I think $400 for one is a little overpriced, considering that some still believe that it is a selectively bred trait.

Congrats, what you got was a deal, but not that great of a deal. I would put my best guess on it being provable as a Striped Anery. Would the "Vanishing" part breed true? Who knows...that's what many of the big breeders are still trying to figure out. Many are still working out their trials.

20. babybub

babybub Member

ehhh spam wont be used for breeding...i just though he/she looked VERY pretty..lolz...fiesty bugger too...havnt snipped at me yet, but he/she did towards a friend...

21. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

Sure you can. That is an anery stripe. Motley/stripes do not have that sort of a pattern.

It suggests they are codominant to each other at the motley locus, but recessive to the wild type (normals).

I think vanishing is similar to cube. They are both pure stripes, and not motley stripes. Also, I have never seen a vanishing stripe offered for $400. The only stripe morph I know that runs for that price would be striped butters and striped caramels, which has nothing to do with the vanishing part. Those are relatively new morphs and thus that is the market price.

Huh? $27 for an anery stripe? Normal stripes normally sell for $40, and when you tack on the anery gene that kicks it up a bit. I'd say getting a $60 snake for $27 is a great deal.

22. DragonCharmTwo

DragonCharmTwo Member

You can be pretty sure, but not positive with the possiblity that it might be Anery B. It's called covering your butt if you ever plan on breeding the snake in the future...you can never know for sure unless you match it and prove it to another Anery A, especially if the snake was purchased as unidentified. I originally said Anery Stripe, possible Moltey/Stripe, because I wasn't sure, but after going and looking some stuff up I realized that it couldn't be Motley/Stripe. However, on this board you can't edit old posts so I couldn't take back what I said. Oh wells! :)

Which is basically what I said...breeding to a Normal results in normal looking hets, while breeding to each other results in a mix of the two traits. But, you cannot say that the Motley and Stripe traits are 100% co-dominant...because they aren't. It's just that they share a locus and are recessive to everything else.

Yes, according to what many of the breeders said on Rich Z's forum, the Vanishing trait always shows up with Stripes...but it hasn't been fully proven out yet as far as exactly how it works genetically.

Striped Butters have been around for a couple years now so they are coming down in price a bit. I remember when they were up around $1,000. The Striped Lavenders and Opals are still up there.

Yes, I said the thread poster got a deal...but not THAT great of a deal. I was going on what someone posted a link to showing a Vanishing Stripe Anery selling for $400. Now a $400 snake for $27 would be a great deal. Like I said, a $60 snake for $27 is a deal, but not an insane deal. You can find deals like that at a lot of herp expos.

23. CalasCorns

CalasCorns Member

I can tell you with 110% confidence that the snake in question is an anery stripe and not a charcoal stripe. Charcoals do not look anything similar to anerys as hatchlings. And, how many charcoal stripes have you seen? Heck, I can't even find a charcoal motley for sale, so the chances of getting a charcoal stripe in a pet store is probably somewhere in line with winning the lottery.

You can say that they are codominant in relation to each other, but not the wild type. You have to be specific, as you said, or someone might be confused and expect non-normal offspring from mot/stripe x normal.

24. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Hehe..say what you mean Calas, dont hold back, really :) LOL!

25. DragonCharmTwo

DragonCharmTwo Member

I also think Anery Stripe, but with Anery traits I don't like to say definate unless you know beyond a doubt with breeding or by purchasing from a breeder who knows. Kinda like a weatherman saying 99% chance of rain. You know he thinks it's going to definately rain, but he still has to cover his booty. :)

About Charcoal Mots, I have a late '04 that was purchased at an expo last year. I cannot say for sure it's a Charcoal, but I will definately try to prove it when it matures.

Exactly. Someone earlier stated that they are co-dominant, and left it at that. That is what I was talking about. They are recessive except to each other.