New to lizards, couple of Q's

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by kingrob, Nov 17, 2004.

1. kingrob

kingrob New Member

hey guys,
    i have never had lizards before but am interested in getting one. i have looked around on the net and have decided on crested geckos. They look awsome, stay small and are pretty hardy from what i heard.

i have a 15 gallon that i would be using at first and will upgrade sizes as neccessary ( only besause i have a 15g lying around).

some stores in my area have these prices
    120, 150, 175 and 200 and another store said they had none in but they usually go for around 100 ( these prices are canadian)
    the store for $200 said they have baby reds, are these prices any good

also if some one could list all items i would have to buy that would help...i dont wanna miss anything

thx
    kingrob

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LIZZARLUVVER

LIZZARLUVVER Embryo

crested geckos are no fun at all. i suggest a leopard gecko. their friendlier and dont look any worse or better. leos (leopars geckos) are preety smalll dont need a very big enclosure (get sumthing bigger than the 15 gal for an adult but a baby will b fine). they are also great pets that require little food (food is crix everyday but not 2 many like 6-9) and rarely, if ever bite. back to the thread..... those prices seem preety darn high espically for pet store those are like good breeder prices. but i am not good at canadain to american exchange. Welcome to the wonderful world of lizards. and for the list of items im not good at crested geckos

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

What's different about the crested's compared to the leopard's you find so boring? I don't have any leopards but have a couple of crested's and I think they're very cool. Can you sell me on the leopards?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Why do you say this?

I own both, and personally I find my crested gecko much more interesting AND more fun/handleable than my leo. Crested Geckos are bazar and have unique personalities that make tham all different.

A 15 gallon is too small for an adult, but ok for a young juvie until it reaches about 6 months of age. At this point you can upgrade to a 20 gallon tall enclosure. Being arboreal height is better than length, so generally a bare minimum height of 16" is needed. But 18"+ will be much more appreciated. I persoanlly find 24" tall being the most ideal for a crested gecko.

I have posted a caresheet I made on a few other threads in this forum that you can take a loook at. I beleive Axe is going to post it on this site in the caresheet section sometime.

Here's the link, I beleive I made it in the first of second reply:
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-5998.html

Sorry it's very long. Axe will be getting it up on the site soon hopefully, so I can refer anyone to that next time.