New tenants for the screen cage

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by JoshSnakeman, Dec 26, 2013.

1. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

A while back I set up what I thought was the perfect anole cage, all the needs were met, but when winter came along it proved just too hard to maintain humidity. So now I've moved my anoles into a separate tank. Considering that this will be a reoccurring problem, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for a new species this cage could house.

I've been told it works for larger anole species before (knight, Jamaican giant), but I'm looking to move away from anoles and try something different. The cage is actually designed to house chameleons, but I'm unsure whether I am willing to accept the challenge of a chameleon, even a more hardy species such as a panther or veiled. Snakes wouldn't work either, they'd rub there noses on the mesh and also figure out how to escape.

So I'm leaving this open to suggestion. I'd prefer it's an arboreal animal, the cage is vertically oriented.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzilla1487

Godzilla1487 New Member

I used to house my Giant Day Gecko in a large screen cage (not sure of the dimensions XD) but in my experience mine likes glass cages better. Mine currently lives now in a medium Exo Terra glass terrarium and he loves to hide and scurry along the background. I've also successfully housed anoles in screen cages (but the misting is a bitch you're right!) I had a small waterfall for them to drink from but it also seemed to help the humidity a bit, but not too significantly! I did put a layer of plastic on 3 of the sides and seemed ok. I'd say the only thing else I've kept in screen cages has been chameleons. My female veiled was very hardy but you're right chameleons are intermediate lizards. Panthers are also hardy (and more beautiful haha) but for some reason I find veileds more adaptive to new environments most of the males (and female) veileds I've kept seem a bit more snappy, while I find panthers a bit more mellow. It depends on what you prefer to pay. Chameleons are a bit of a challenge but anoles or any small reptile is a stepping stone to higher levels of experience!in my personal opinion they're both rewarding animals and my first female lived to be abot 6 years. Try em out both awesome chams! Also I realized this post was from December so my apologies if ya got this all figured out! :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Dimensions?

Edit: Just realized this post is from January as well - sorry it has gone unanswered for so long!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

I think I'd be able to keep a chameleon based on experience level, but if I messed something up it would be a bit of a loss, so I didn't think I should risk it. The cage is actually being used now to house various geckos in the Rhac family. I just rotate them every once in a while. Keeps them from getting bored. Thanks for replying though!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Godzilla1487

Godzilla1487 New Member

No problem! I've heard Rhacs do well in screen cages but surprisingly did not think about them! :) thanks for letting me know and I hope you Rhac cage is going well!