New Rock Wall - Sealing Grout???

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Drakeyoshi, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Drakeyoshi

Drakeyoshi New Member

I want to seal the grout that i am going to use over the new foam rock wall for my bd. I was just wondering should i use a grout sealer or a water based paint sealer?? I don't know about the toxic properties of either and the employee's at the hardware store are absolutely useless when it comes to technical questions. both options show toxic on the cans however once they are dry would they still give off fumes.

Please anyone who has previously build a rock wall of this nature please respond. What did you use to seal it all in when you where done?

I just don't want to leave it as open grout as i know it is semi-porus and will absorb bactria from his fecal matter if he desided to go to the bathroom on any of the wall.

Thanks
    Josh

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

Personally I have not built onw but, i have conmsidered it. From what I have read everyone seems to use a grout sealer. Not sure if this helps.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Drakeyoshi

Drakeyoshi New Member

Here is a pic. of the wall as it is right now. Hopefully this works
    [​IMG]

The new tank i custom build with old 5mm glass cut and sealed to 48"x24"x18".

I am also in the process of staining 1x4, 1x2, and corner bead kd fir to make a finished peace of furniture out of this.

The lid will be just a frame with 1/4" wire mesh and i will afix a light fixture for the new 36" UVB bulb (upgrade from the 18")

I still would like an opinion from someone who has already done this...

Thanks again
    Josh

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. gecotripn

gecotripn Embryo

I would use grout sealer. The sealer is usually sold around the same spot where you bought the grout. Just make sure it is water based.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hydrosapien

Hydrosapien Embryo

I wish someone could answer you Josh. I am currently building a cage as well and have the exact same concerns as you. My cage will be housing day geckos, and they get all their moisture from misting so if there is any chemical residue that can be released after the grout sealant dries then they will surely injest it. Does anyone know if sealant stops being toxic after it dries? How long does it take to fully cure?

So far your wall looks pretty awesome. Have you finished it? Do you have any technical tips for someone about to do the same thing as you? You should show off and post some pics.

Cheers.

12. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

I use spary on grout sealer for all my styrofoam and grout creations. I'll get the name for you later and put it on here for you.

13. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

The stuff I use is made buy Tile Perfect and is called spary and seal. I've never had any problems with my leos using this stuff.

14. AustraliaGuy89

AustraliaGuy89 New Member

I used paint sealer for our snake cage. it wasn't strong enough and the snakes seperated the foam at parts and pretty much destroyed it. Over the summer, I'm re-doing it with tile grout. Hope that helps, and good luck!

15. Woodie

Woodie New Member

Do you have to seal te grout? it doe'nt say on that guide.

I made a rock wall and aint sealed it?

16. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

yes you need to seal it.

17. Woodie

Woodie New Member

Ok is the guide wrong? mine is just like stone,what is the reason to seal it?

18. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

You need to seal it to keep out water and harmful bacteria. The guide must have forgot to mention that you need to seal it.

19. GEXMEX

GEXMEX Embryo

I made cage furniture for my beardie and I just used regular grout sealant. Its called TileLab: Tile and Grout Sealant. I got it at home depot and its in a yellow bottle. This stuff you just kinda pour it on and move it around(its very watery).
    You dont HAVE to seal it, but it would definately extend the life of the creation. You can tell after you put the first coat on how porous it is (almost instantly absorbed). Just make sure everything airs out VERY good. I think the spray on one would work good too, this just happens to be what I used(spray might be easier)

20. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

The spray works really well. Also if you use like a brown or grey grout you can see where it is still absorbing the sealant at. It gets darker at the places that aren't completly sealed right after you spray it.

21. Limited

Limited Embryo

Just want to know were the directions for making these cages are? I am looking to make one this weekend?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

22. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

When I did my rock wall I used polycrylic to seal it. It's water based so it isnt as toxic as some of the other options but it still need plenty of time to cure.