New python enclosure - PICS

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Kidfixer, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Kidfixer

Kidfixer New Member

OK, here it is...

[​IMG]

Not bad for a shoestring budget project.

I purchased this buffet cabinet its resting on for $30...gotta LOVE Craigslist!!

[​IMG]

Now the project (in case anyone cares)

Started with this 135 Gallon aquarium...got it for $50 because it leaked.

[​IMG]

Had two 1/4" Lexan panels cut for doors

[​IMG]

Gorilla glued 1/4" plywood under lip of frame to make it flush, then glued 1/2" pine over it to attach hinges to tank.

Installed cabinet locks and 3" aluminum intakes vents in the doors.

[​IMG]

Stained the wood, then attached hinges and used 1/4" bolts to attach doors.

Four holes (2 each side) for the aqua pump were left in the tank and utilized as ventilation.

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

I used Gorilla Tape to adhere the aluminum screen material, then covered with a 5' x 3' Bamboo Forest vinyl wall mural (found on eBay) using 3M Super 77 adhesive spray.

Again, using the Gorilla Glue, I glued two 1/2" pine boards to the ceiling glass and mounted the Pro-Products Pro Heat 12x24 radiant panel with 1-3/4" #10 zinc screws.

[​IMG]

Temp is controlled using a Spyder Robotics thermostat (90° day / 80° night)

[​IMG]

And finally, a pic of my girl exploring her new habitat

[​IMG]
    I will be replacing the two water dishes with a single larger one very soon.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

......................................................................................................

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Wow! Awesome job! I <3 Gorilla Glue, it's the amazing "do everything" product :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

nice dude look sick....:cool:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Nice looking! She looks like she enjoys it! :) it has really great accessories too-especially the thermometer/hygrometer-I want one like that-they're so accurate!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. supernova

supernova Member

Very nice! I looked at those heat panels and wasn't sure about the effectiveness of them. Where are you measuring your heat reading from? I'm going about 4 inches from the floor on mine but it's within plywood. Seems it will be difficult to go off of a single temp reading with glass. +1 for herpstat ND, I love mine!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. xlendi

xlendi Member

Impressive! And you have given me a new goal. I certainly took note of the Herpstate ND. Cost? I curently do my temp changes manually - or is that "wo-manually"? I cannot believe all of the products I am discovering that just were not commonly available when I last had snakes - sometime in the late mddle ages it seems.

Snake looks happy, and - attitude! - she also looks as though she is quite sure she controls the world.

12. supernova

supernova Member

The Herpstat ND is proportional meaning it will adjust at a percentage of power rather than just on or off keeping the temps accurate. The features I love about this particular model is that it has an audible alarm you can set if it goes outside of your preset temp ranges, Great for letting you know your heat source has failed, also the (ND) night drop feature allows you to help set the mood for breeding. :) The unite runs around $135-$145 depending on if the unit is a grounded (3 prong) plug or a standard (2 prong) plug.

13. xlendi

xlendi Member

OK, well that is outside my current budget - but I can always set another goal. I know I can look it up on line, but I will ask anyway - can it be used for more than one heating element at a time?

Between snakes and iguana you seem to have enough little beasts to take a good deal of time daily. How do you manage?

14. supernova

supernova Member

Thermostats can be used on as many elements as you want as long as they don't exceed the total rated wattage of the thermostat. However I don't recommend running separate enclosures from a single unit as the probe will only measure one enclosure (element). For instance: My rack has 8 three foot runs of heat cable tied to the same thermostat with the probe on the second shelf (of 4) from the top. I see ~2 degree change between top and bottom of rack but inside an enclosure these temps could vary as much as ~10 degrees between them.

Sorry kidfixer, didn't mean to pull this off topic.

15. rebecca moore

rebecca moore New Member

WOW! looks great to me!!

16. Kidfixer

Kidfixer New Member

Thanks, Becca...and thanks, Super, for answering the T-stat inquiry.