New Mountain Horned Dragon questions

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by adam p, Mar 1, 2014.

1. adam p

adam p Embryo

Hi all! I just picked up a juvenile mountain horned dragon the other day and have a few questions. I'm waiting on what is to be the permanent enclosure to arrive in the mail in the next week or so, which measures 2fx2fx4f. Unfortunately it wont arrive til late next week and the dragon must be kept in a 10 gallon for the time being, i'm hoping that's fine for that short period as the dragon is still quite small (less than 6 inches full length). So far in two full days of having the dragon it hasn't moved from one spot in the tank where it is at the highest point pretty much pressed against the screen closest to the light. Still has yet to eat crickets and meal worms that have been offered so i've removed them. When i purchased the dragon i received its feeding charts for the last several weeks and it had stretches of not eating for a couple days at a time before so i'm not overly worried yet. How long without movement or eating until i should start to become concerned and then what can be done? I realise the tank is too small at the moment but there isnt much i can do until the larger one arrives, humidity is on par at around 80 and temperature is constant at mid 70s and around 80ish at basking spot. Any advice would be appreciated!
    thanks,

adam

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Well if you just got it, don't expect it to eat right away. Reptiles get stressed from the move, I'd give it a week or two before it's fully acclimated. As for staying in the highest point of the tank, MHDs are arboreal, so he likes to be up off the ground in the spot of the tank that gives him the best vantage point, and in a ten gallon there's not going to be a lot of places to do that. I wouldn't worry about him too much. Just hold out until your larger enclosure comes.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. adam p

adam p Embryo

Would you do anything to make stay in the 10 gallon better? Or is it just a matter of waiting. Also if you have any suggestions for the setup of the large enclosure id love to hear them!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

I would think it's just a matter of waiting. 10 gal is a small enclosure for a MHD, but it's all you have to work with right now. I would put a few branches in there, to give a couple perches and basking spots. That way also if you get others there won't be a fight for a particular basking area. I'm sure you've done your research, if you want to post a picture of the enclosure when you have it done, we'd love to see it!