New Kenyan Male Sand Boa won't eat

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Sheila, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Sheila

Sheila Member

I got a male kenyan sand boa donated to my classroom a week and half ago. (it was all so quick I had no time to prepare.) The guy who gave him to me said he should be ready to eat a rat pup since he had not ate for a week. I tried a rat pup and he did not want it. I waited three days and tried a small mouse hopper. He tried to squeeze it but it got away. I kept him for another day tired again and he still wouldn't eat. So, I waited a couple of days again and got a mouse pinky. Nothing!

Cage specifics: Aspen/carefresh mix, small water bowl. Temps 97 on hot 79 on cool. Undertank heater and light on top. No hide only because he likes to swim and I am afraid it would fall on him. Any suggestions?

I tried to feed him outside the cage and then tried to leave the pinky in the cage.

I have searched the web for good care sheets but it is all to confusing! How long should it take for him to settle in? I know each snake is different but I want to make sure he is stable before I take him to school.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TimW

TimW New Member

RE: New Kenyan Male Sand Boa won

I would wait until it is eating before I would go taking it out. Also, did the guy who you got it from say it was eating live or frozen? The cage you have sounds ok, bu I would try to put a hide in there just in case. Just be sure the humidity is not too high, because that one of thing things you have to watch out for in Sand Boas. I don't know of any specific care sheets of the top of my head, but I am sure someone else will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

How big is this male? My 3 yr old female isn't big enough for a rat pup IMHO. I feed her adult mice, nothing bigger. Any chance he was getting ready to shed when you tried to feed him? It's not totally unheard of for even excellent feeding KSBs to not feed when in shed.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cutifrogs

cutifrogs Embryo

Hello,
    I am having the same problem with my sand boa. If you find out any good suggestions please e-mail me cutifrogs@hotmail.com

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Rayn4est

Rayn4est Embryo

My young male KSB stopped eating during a shed...then didn't start up again afterwards. He had been eating very well before, attacking the F/T pinkie as soon as it was in front of him. I tried for weeks. I tried brained pinkies...no go. Finally resorted to live. That did the trick. Now he's slower about eating. I leave the F/T pinkie with him in the feeding box for awhile, usually less than an hour, sometimes more, in a fairly dark room. I don't even bother trying to feed while he's shedding.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Rayn4est

Rayn4est Embryo

12. reptilecrazy313

reptilecrazy313 Embryo

temp diversity is a key factor. alot of snakes won't eat if there isnt much difference in temp from hot spot to their cooler spot. try feeding fuzzies instead. and sometimes water always being there can cause humidity problems.

13. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

what season was that?
    i've heard that sand boas won't eat during the winter, without any signs of illness,,
    maybe it was winter?