New iguanas not eating!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Lostdiamondeyez, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Lostdiamondeyez

Lostdiamondeyez Embryo

I recently acquired 2 baby iguanas from a local pet store owner. They were given to me b/c they refused to eat and he was going to lose money on them. I have set them up in a medium sized tank with all the correct lighting, hiding spots, heating, and substrate. They are not the normal bright green of healthy iguanas, but a really dark brown with green underbellies. They seem well hydrated and drink on a regular basis; however, I still cannot get them to eat. I have tried applesauce, apples, vegetable baby food, different vegetables, and various other foods, but they refuse to eat. Please help with any suggestions, tips, and hints!!! Thanks so much :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

Just to be sure, can you list the temps for the hot and cold sides? As well as the substrate being used? They may be a stressed from the move, so they might not eat right away. Keep trying to feed them. I'm sure, some one will be over here to help you out more.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Need to know a lot more information from you so we can help.
    First they really need to be seperated,
    You say a medium size tank, what is it's exact size ?
    What UVB light have you got.
    What heating are you using
    What are the temperatures, warm end, cool end and under basking spot.
    How are you measuring the temps, is it a digital with probe or the dial type.

Food should be leafy greens such as endive, escarole, dandelion leaves, collards.
    The apple sauce, babyfood should be left off food list.

The reason they are brown is several things
    1) they are stressed being cramped together, they are solitary animals.
    2) they probably have not been getting the correct UVB,
    3) they could be cold if heating isnt correct
    4) they probably havent had the correct food.
    5) the chances are they are Wild Caught and could possibly have parasites.
    Which is a big case for having them seperated and a fecal test done a.s.a.p. by a vet.

If you keep these iguanas you will need
    1) a 6x4x4ft cage FOR EACH OF THEM
    2) each cage fitted out with UVB, heating and lighting and a large water tub so they can soak

They can not live together even in a large cage, they are very territorial and will fight

Please answer all the questions, givng exact details of uvb, lights and temps etc
    Make, type and wattage will also be extremely useful.

Sadly petstores have a bad habit of giving new owners wrong info just to secure a sale.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

Bruno really covered everything...separating them is KEY and shoiuld happen immediately. providing the rest of the info bruno requested would be very helpful...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ilovemyiguana

ilovemyiguana Embryo

I would try printing and reading this to insure you understand proper care:
    http://www.pethospitalpq.com/ieducate/?op=...FFnVf/c6pc/FLI=

Next, understand they are afraid. These little guys don't know who you are and what you are going to do to them. They need to understand that you are their friend. Who knows how they have been treated. Iguanas have feelings and are emotional.

I trained my wild iguanas at nite, in the dark and I sang to them. I kept them under the electric blanket with me. Iguanas can live together, but the other person replying is correct, they will fight and one must be dominant. If one gives in easily, things will be ok, if not, they will continue to fight. it all depends on personality.

Give them time and fresh mustard, collard. and the things listed in the link I gave you, and above all alot of love and kindness. Get on their level and take interest in what they do, let them see you care.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

I'm sorry but that is one of the worst caresheets I've ever come across.
    20gallon tank there is NO WAY you can get the correct temps.

They say.
    It is vital they have UVB.

They say use heat pads, rocks etc then say heat rocks are dangerous !!!!!

Diet.
    Broccoli, chard, spinnach, kale all contain "oxylates" that prevent calcium being absorbed.

I could go on.
    For a REAL caresheet, download Melissa Kaplins guide, it's 80 pages long, Melissa Kaplin

No Comment.

They can not live together. FULL STOP.

As I stated in last post
    2 seperate tanks.
    With correct UVB and heating or you will have 2 very sick iguana's on your hands.