new iguana?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by randy84, Oct 22, 2006.

1. randy84

randy84 New Member

my pop gave me an iguana n the people before let him go!
    he was freezing wen he ot him!
    ive had him for three days n he has wormed up alot! but he only eats like one peace of roman for a couple of days.
    how do i get him to eat well again! i can see n fell his ribs :D
    the good part is that he is really tame n loves to be held !

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. denise38

denise38 New Member

not to be mean but why do all these people keep taking these reptiles in and yet they themselves have no idea how to care for them either...

what set up do you have for him. ? and he shouldnt be given anything that ends in "lettuce"... feed him collard, mustard and turnip greens instead. that should make up 85 percent of his diet and then feed some fruits as well.....

how old are you by the way. ?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. randy84

randy84 New Member

the guy at the store gave me food for him, and that what he
    gave me so thats wat im feeding him!it has fruits mixed in it
    i was asking for suggestions, i no how to take care of him he
    was out in the cold for a couple of days with no food.
    he is really skinny, i think he is depressed
    i have a temperay setup for a couple of days we are goin to build a big setup for him! i have a uv light n a regular light to keep him warm!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bearded_dragon_man

bearded_dragon_man Member

i hope you and ur "pop" know how much of committment you just made....a iguana if probaly cared for can reach anywhere from 4-5 feet some 6 and when that guy is an adult he going tobe packing away alot of food every month 7-8 pounds thats going to take a chunk out of your wallet considering thats if you even work yet...

well i guess its time to help you out now....

he/she needs a basking spot that needds to be around 95 and a coolside of around 80 at night s/he temps can not go lower than 75 for night time heat if you need it i would suggest you purchase a CHE( ceramack heat emitter) becuase it gives of no light and they need there sleep...s/he will also need a UV light that gives UVA/UVB the best way for it to get his uv light is for you to bring in outside (IF its warm) but becuase he isnt use to you i would just place him infront of your window (make sure the window has a screen...) depending on the size of your ig becuase a adult willlrip right through it but seeing how you describe him in his weak statei doubt he could rip through but you have to watch him to make sure if he trys you can stop him for food you HAVE to feed him collard greens, turnip greens,mustards greens where allsaid above but theres more than just that heres a couple links that will help you alot if you take the time to go through them and read the caresheets

www.greenigsociety.org

www.iguanazone.com

www.iguanaden.com

hopefuly thoselinkswork but if you really want that ig to live READ them dont skin through....

-Spencer

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. randy84

randy84 New Member

its just me! my pop gave him to me
    i know that igaunas get big!
    hes not sick , i took him to a reptile specalist and they said he was in good shape just under fed and cold which
    i am fixing. i was just wondering how to get him eating well again! its too cold outside, thats were he was found!
    i have a uv and a reguler light for heat and it is nice and warm!
    he loves walking around and climbing on things.
    thanks for trying to help.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bearded_dragon_man

listen we are just trying to help you if i came across rudei didnt mean to... you could try to boost his tank warmth abit like 85ish ambiemt air temp...is he going to waashroom reguarly and maybe he is dehydrated try giving him a bath it will also helpwith his bowels becuase he coulld be impacted.

-Spencer

12. randy84

randy84 New Member

i wasnt trying to be rude!
    sorry if thats how u took it, i was just letting u guys know about his setup!
    i will put a therm. in there. i thinks its a little warmer than that!
    i spray him alot and hes been drinking it.

13. bearded_dragon_man

ok so we are both sorry if we came of rude :) what are you checking his temps with invest in a couple digital therms if you dont already have them becuase those little ones with the dial that look like a compase can be off by alot i think by like 15 degrees?

-Spencer

14. randy84

randy84 New Member

ok i will do!
    we went back to the store and he gave me a sample of iguana pellets!
    he ate it really fast! so i am guessing the people gave that to him before we got it!

15. bearded_dragon_man

make sure that the pellets are soggy before feeding them dry can be very hard for him to swallow and he couldpossibly choke not to mention i doubt in the state he is in he would be able to bite through one...you may also want to check if they are expired becuase i have heard of a pet store giving away free samples atleast in my area, but thats good he ate them also make sure you dont feed them to him alot they say you can feed them as a staple diet(meaning some thing you can eat alot of without negative effects) if you need more help im more then willing:D

-Spencer

16. randy84

randy84 New Member

ok
    i sprayed the pellets and he loves them!
    i am going to try to lean him off of those pellets by adding a little of fresh greens and veggies!

17. randy84

randy84 New Member

i meant fresh greens and fruits!

18. bearded_dragon_man

thats good do you need help with greens and veggies that are feed able to him and also do you have any names picked out?also about how big is he if you cant measure him just use a refence the abit bigger then a shoe box:D

19. randy84

randy84 New Member

he is like around 3 feet and way under weight!
    he is starting to thicken up and i only had him for 5 days!
    befor u could see his ribs poking out but now u can barely see them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my dad named him gump. for forest gump!
    i dont like it but if im going to keep thats his name!

20. bearded_dragon_man

you should be ableto tell if its a boy or girl by thst size...first if its a male it should have these big like almost water balloon ( but not huge things maybe like the size of ur fist depending on how old you are and also i cant give you a good size guess becuase i only have one female ig ) like things for his cheeks there should be a couple big white scales on it those are called the jowls if it doesnt have them it should be a female but becuase he was so skinny you never know....and another way to tell is if it has little black dots on the back of its hind legs these are called "femoral pores" they are bigger on males than females a females are tiny heres a link if you dont understand what im talking about or if my paragraph didnt make much sense heres the link

http://www.greenigsociety.org/malefemale.htm

that should work if not just tell me :wink:

thats a funny name gump(no offense)

RUN FOREST RUN!!!lol

-Spencer

21. randy84

randy84 New Member

i know but thats the name he wants!
    hes a male
    the guy at the reptile store told me!
    if for some reson he isnt ill let u know!

22. bearded_dragon_man

i thought you said your dad found him?and i was just teasing you with the RUN FOREST RUN!! its a good name i personaly think that it would fit a male and female if somthing turns up and it proves to the oppisite sex.....if you want you can post a pic of him and i could tell you :) if you dont no how just ask and ill tell you,

good luck on the new ig

-Spencer

23. randy84

randy84 New Member

it dont bother me i just dont like it that much!
    my pop found it but my dad took it to the reptile store to make sure it was "savable" or ok
    they said he was in good shape exept for the fact he was under weight n that he was freezing. and he dont have mites either!!!!!!!!!
    im glad i dont want my other reptiles to get them!
    before he brought it home.
    i have to charge the camera first! ill get them as soon as possible!

24. bearded_dragon_man

its good that you are makying a effort to save him to many people dont they just buy them froma pet store and the guy tells them to feed him lettuce and he willbe fine and also whats the name of the petstore your going to?does it specailize in reptiles?

25. randy84

randy84 New Member

yes it does.
    its "Wet Pet and Reptiles"
    but it is mostly reptiles and a room for some fish, nothing that good!
    the best fish is a gold piranha, but its the only 1 i have ever seen in there!
    we should be building a cage soon! like withen the next couple of days!