New Iggy

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by iggy_john, Dec 28, 2004.

1. iggy_john

iggy_john New Member

hey all i just got a new iggy.. his name if it is a him is gohan :( .... hes still a bit skittish but once i have him in my hand he is ok.. still is like jittery when i go to pick him up tho... hopefully with time this will get better
    hope to talk to you all soon
    considering im a newb to this site
    id love to hear any advice any of you have in raising iggys
    thanks John

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site John! Hope you enjoy yourself and feel free to ask any questions you'd like!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iggy_john

iggy_john New Member

thanks much .. and youll be happy to know i was able to pick my lil gohan up today and move him to the basking spot with ease
    im very happy and only after a day to boot.. :(

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. iggy_john

iggy_john New Member

he still hasnt eatin all day
    im a tad worried.. his cage is bout 80dg. durin the day baskin at bout 90 or 95 and night time bout 75 .. so temps are cool.. i mist him bout 3 times today.. but still no eaty.. i gave him bananas, beans sprout, peas and pod, alfafa sprouts, shredded carrots and lettuce.. all mixed together .. and has water.. am i doin anything wrong.. he mostly seems to just hang on the nylon mesh cage alot and bask alot.. i wonder if i should get him like another lil spot to hang out on or if that really matters.. he has tons of room to climb on the cage.. its 175gallon .. any ideas

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

No lettuce. There isn't anything nutritious about lettuce. You want to offer a good mix of different greens like dandelion, mustard, turnip, kale, etc. The rest if okay, but I'd offer some more fruits instead of so much sprouts. It should be around 70-75% greens and the rest should be fruits like pear, apple, banana, melons, grapes, mango, papaya, etc, all chopped into bite size pieces. You can also offer a little raw sweet potato chopped. And fruit baby food, just a teaspoon or so at his size. Some will disagree, but I always keep a basking spot closer to 90, I think 95 is too high. Try to keep the night time temp closer to 80. The misting is good, what type of substrate do you have? The humidity should be around 70-80% as much as possible. They like it warm and humid but not hot and certainly not dry.
    What type of cage do you have? If it's one of those netted cages that entirely nylon, then you're going to have several problems. One, they don't hold humidity at all, two, the large the iguana gets, the more holes he'll shred into the side, and three, they're hard as heck to keep heat in.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. iggy_john

iggy_john New Member

ya i will try more fruits and what you said... and see if it helps.. tho i havent seen him even go near his food today at all.. the basking spot is bout 90 or so i put a meter there to see it.. as far as the humidity.. i dont have much in the way of a humidifier yet.. im gonna get one here on thurs... but i do mist alot and the fake plants and vines i have in there seem to help the humidity after the misting.. uhmm the nylon mesh cage was a temporary thing till he gets bigger and i have time to build him a cage.. so i realize he will start ripping it.. but so far i havent seen a problem with the humidity level there .. probally cause ive been misting alot .. over all temp of the cage at night is bout 75 or so .. and durin the day at bout 80 .. i dont have any other heat sources other then my central heat .. seems to be doin teh trick tho as far as keeping it warm.. so until i get a humidifier.. i will try those suggestions on food .. and thanks again