New Guy and a little rusty.

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by DaveJr, Nov 30, 2004.

1. DaveJr

DaveJr Embryo

Hello all!

I have had an Iguana before. My son was born in December of 2000 and that is when we put Rocket up for adoption. We where able to get her into a very loving home and I still visit from time to time. My wife was freaked out with the samenilla thing so it was neccessary. But now that Timmy is older we have a new girl in the house or so I think.

A few questions that I want to ask to help me brush up on keeping her healthy. I hated using carpet on the bottom of the tank. What are my options? Wood Chips? Is sand okay??

I have the vitamins and calcium. Good diet and treats. Decent cage for now as I am working on one at the moment. I have lights for heat but am looking for recommendations on UV lights so that she is getting what she needs.

Thanks in advance and feel free to pass along any tips that you may have for me.

Thanks

Dave Jr

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I would use ReptiSun bulb for UVA and UVB lighting. They're long fluorescent bulbs that fit into a hood (like an aquarium hood).
    Reptile bark, coconut fiber, newspaper are all fine beddings. Don't use sand. Is this a young iguana or adult? What size cage does she have/are you building?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DaveJr

DaveJr Embryo

Just a wee little one right now. I am unsure of the exact size of the tank it is about a 40 gallon tank I believe. I am working on an enclosure that is about 7 - 8 feet tall 3-4 feet deep. Plexi sides, double layer top lights builtin and protected by a screen layer. Top does come of in one piece.

Have a bunch of drawings for designin the inside but have not committed to anything. I plan on a custom pool at the bottom with some sort of filtration built in.

I guess I will stay with the bark for now. Just gets in the water dish all the time. Oh well will be better with the new cage.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I know whay you mean about the bark. Mine used to dig at it and most of it ended up in his water dish. Real messy. But it is a really good substrate for igs.