new, few Q's

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by brad88rx7, Mar 11, 2006.

1. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

email sent! I am having the orange/red tiger held for me. He already has great colors :D Will the color change alot when he gets older?

http://www.jsrhacs.com/available1.html
    second to last one

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tmx

tmx New Member

Hmm, i'm not real positive, but i'm sure you'll love him weather his color changes or not hehe!

[​IMG]

Theres my little one ;] He's TINY!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

I got some stuff for the cage today! I also got a thermometer/hygrometer. I am getting 40% humidity in my room right now, with the glass exoterranium and misting will the humidity go up too much?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tmx

tmx New Member

Well, you will want to mist either way, but yes it will make it go up. Misting adds water in there, which he'll enjoy drinking off the leaves etc. Another good thing to get, I got one of those "bendable branches" Here is a link to one online, but they have them in pet shops as well...

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=365

So i got that, and then i personally went to old time pottery, and picture up a "silk vine plant". Just whatever you like, and took hotglue and wrapped the vine around it and glued it on. Makes a nice branch with lots of hiding spots. I will try to get a picture later on of it!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

if its not a digital one I wouldnt trust it, glass will be fine I dont have the gage in the cage 24/7 but I moniter the temps every few day and my room temp never really goes above 72 I use glass and the humidity is 40% in the room... I have only had 1 shed problem and it was because the store didnt have high enough humdity and I think also stress was a factor now I spray every night/day and only miss maybe once a week.

the gist of it is as long as humidity spikes once at night to about 90 it should be fine, by mid day it will be around 50ish anyways thats fine just make sure you have a water dish for them incause you forget to spray

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

Its the digital Fluker's one.
    I also got one of those vines, but its the medium one ;) Thats all they had. I was thinking I could wrap it around it self and that should be thick enough.

I will have to do that, bet it looks nice! :)

12. tmx

tmx New Member

Probably paid a good bit for that flukers one hehe! Shoulda got one from walmart for about $11.00. And yes, i love the looks of it hehe!

13. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

It was $20. I like it, nice and compact, min/max feature, sticky things on the back to attach to the glass

You think the medium vines will be enough to support the crestie?

tmx- cute little guy ;)

14. tmx

tmx New Member

Yeah, it should be fine. I haven't messed with the medium to much, but as a baby i don't think you even realize yet how tiny they are, unless you have seen one. Mine is sooo tiny hehe. The picture makes him look so big. But you could always get a larger one if you need one once he is full grown etc. So i would just stick with the medium..

15. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

ok, I will keep it for now. I think Im going to keep the tank pretty simple untill it gets bigger, I dont want to not be able to find it with a bunch of stuff in there. lol

I went ahead and got some Flukers cricket feed and some of this gel water stuff aswell.

16. tmx

tmx New Member

Heh, that one is ultimatley up to you, but me personally, and a lot of the reptile community won't use flukers to much. They don't have the best name out there, i don't have the links, but a while back they sent out a BUNCH of sick bearded dragons and other reps. But me personally, i wouldn't use there cricket food or "gel" or buy crix from them. I would get cricket food from www.cricketfood.com (It's the best out there) And then, if you want to use a gel for the crickets just get some of like this...

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=28&de=353756

It's just these little crystals that you put in water and they absorb a bunch of water. And you can reuse it and everything else. So me personally, i'd take the cricket food and gel back and get both of them, but thats just me.

17. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

Thanks for the heads up! I will take them back tommorrow and get the stuff you recommended.

Anybody use that mistimize spray? I saw one person on here that does but never heard if it works well. I got some while I was there... haha friggin petco, I cant walk out of there with only what I went for.

edit: I just read the paper that came with the mistimize, says that if a child swallows it seek medical attention... yeah thats real great for my crestie to be drinking :roll: That's going back too! lol Is bottled water ok for them?

18. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Bottled water not so good. It can lack the salts and other nutrient they need.

Mistimize is perfectly fine. It is concentrated....something (can't remember what) and will harm a child if they drink it. Imagine drinking say ethonol (pure alcohol - It will kill you). Since the mistimize is diluted so much in the water, it actually takes (nuetralizes) out the chlorine (which can be good). If you don't want to use it but want the same effect, let water sit in an open container for 24-48 hrs. The Chlorine will evaporate.
    Exo terra is really good with their stuff.

19. brad88rx7

brad88rx7 New Member

ok thats good ;) I just dont want to make any stupid mistakes that can harm or stress my crestie.

geez 3 pages already, thank you very much for the fast, and helpfull replies. 8)