New Enclosure project

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by HK_JJ, Jun 14, 2006.

1. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

I have decicided to convert a entertainment center into an enclosure. Hopefully if all goes well it will provide 3 new spacious homes for my guys. Im starting to run outta room in my place so i figured it would save some space.....I am going to use black stone stick on tile for the floors, as for the walls im thinking of something creative. the lights are already in the process of being installed. ill keep u guys updated, and hopefully it turns out......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres a diagram of the finished product...(not a good drawing, lol)
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. rat_wrangler

rat_wrangler Embryo

Looks cool. What will you be putting in it?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pigger93

pigger93 Member

great plan

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

thanks...i will be putting my scarface my beardie in the bottom, and my frilled in one of the top ones. ill have space to get a new one, or i could put my chameleon in the last part.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Fable

Fable New Member

Nice plan. This just a suggestion but instead of a cham a crestie!!?? I would like to see pics of it when its all said and done.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

i was thinking of that too, i will definately post pics of the final product

12. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Not the adhesive kind right? The glue on these is toxic for your reptiles. Otherwise, looks great, can't wait to see it all done!

13. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

RE: Re: New Enclosure project

really i was told at home depo it wouldnt be...what can be used??

14. rhysstran

rhysstran New Member

What about cleaning the excess glue off?

15. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

i wouldnt know as far as i knew the sticky tiles would be fine.

16. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I am not sure, I have just read about it before. It is the same reason why you can't use adhesive shelf liner. The glue on those thing never really dries, it just remains sticky. With the heat of an enclosure, this will just warm the glue and increase the fumes. I have used them before in my bathroom, just smell them, you can smell teh chemicals. I am sure the guy at home dept said it was ok, but I doubt he was thinking of that. If you want tile, why not just use ceramic tile? You can either grout it down, or just have it cut to size. They don't cost that much more than the sticky stuff.

17. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

well i dont want to go with ceramic this thing is going to be havy enough. is there any kind of glue i can use for the non stick tiles???? also about silcone. can i use the clear one for batrooms and such??? thanks guys

18. rhysstran

rhysstran New Member

wouldnt ceramic tiles get hot?

19. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Well any surface can get hot that why you need to find a way of controlling the temps, normally a thermostat or rheostat but moving the light or changing the wattage also work. I use ceramic in my leos tank and with a thermostat rigged up to the UTH the temps are fine :p

20. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I use tiles with a thermostat also, works really well. Like I said, you don't have the grout them in. My uro tank is impossiable to lift with the tiles in it, I just remove them before for cleaning. I am not sure what other options there are...maybe shelf liner (non-adhesive). I personally would start another thread to ask ppl what you can use beside the stick on tile (and to ask them their opinion in it, but like I said, I think it is a very bad idea). I am sure there are some ppl here who would know, they just haven't looked at this post.

21. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

ok ill do that, thanks

22. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

ok problem solved, i went back to home depo and talk with a different person this time. ended up getting new tiles(non adheasive kind) and using silcone (100%) to stick them in. now just letting the silicone cure before i move on with the project.

23. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

ok now i have to decide which method for heating, some input here...how would u ecomend i go about keeping this thing warm? also how far is the recomened distance between a beardie and his basking light? thanks

one part for a auzzy frilled, one part for a veild and one part for a beardie.

24. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

also as for my uv lighting i mounted the filaments to the top of the tanks and routed the wire out to the back where i have the ballasts mounted to the back of the enclosure. my questuion is are the ballests going to be toxic to my guys ( a friend of mine said they would be)....also what should i have between the ballast and the board? thanks a bunch

25. HK_JJ

HK_JJ New Member

ok here an update on my project. the bottom tank is done(just needs a door), has the uvb and heat lamp mounted in, etc. started making the background for the top two tanks, heres how its looking so far......many thanks to brittone05 for the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also still need input on the ballast for the floresant lights, are they safe to mount to the back of the enclosure?? toxic?? do they need some thing mounted between them and the wood??