New Enclosure for Styxx:)

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by StikyPaws312, Mar 6, 2013.

1. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

So... I bought a new tank for my little gal a couple months ago... Finally got around to setting her up in it last night :) Oh! And I finally figured out that she's a girl... lol. The new tank is a vision cage, model #211 (about 30gal) which has the volume of a 30 gallon but a larger foot print because of it's shape - reg. 30 gal has 432 sq. in. foot print but the vision tank has 528 sq. in of foot print :)

Anyway, here are some crappy cell phone pics of the new tank :)
    [​IMG]

The rock/bowl thing in the front left is her food bowl (currently empty because it was 8pm) she wasn't very happy about that, lol.
    [​IMG]

The 4 food bowl things you see on the right are (from left to right) calcium/super veggie powder (I've never seen her lick it but my leos used to love having a small bowl of calcium in their tank so I figured it wouldn't hurt), then there is bee pollen, then lentils and split peas, and on the right is millet :) It's like a little buffet of yum!
    [​IMG]

Then I have a big grape vine for her to climb and her rock den to use as a basking spot and a her hide at night :) I might add in another den type thing in the back right with a little tube leading to it... we'll see what I can come up with, might make one out of styrofoam - but I'm currently finishing our basement so all the little projects are being put on hold for a bit.

Anyway, here are some pics of her exploring her new home!
    [​IMG]

Hello? What's out there?
    [​IMG]
    (yes, my christmas tree is still up - don't judge me! Lol)

Lemme out! I want to be FREEEEEEE! Lol
    [​IMG]

Don't look at me like that... you gave me a feast, I will eat the feast!! And that is final!
    [​IMG]

Lol, so yeah, my little fatty is only about 50grams though. She's a little over a year... ornates take about 3 years to mature. I can't wait darn it! Now that I know I have a female I think I might look in to getting a male... hm.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. WildTiger

WildTiger New Member

She is adorable.. Mine is similar in color.. HMM i thought he was a geyri.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Thanks :) They all look very similar when they are young (and by young I mean hatchling to about 3 years).... This link might help you figure out what your little guy is :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

So cute! Love the new crib and looks like Styxx does too. =)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

So to make things REALLY confusing... I found out that I was sexing HIM wrong... yes, he is officially a he. I had been trying to look for the tell tail signs like my other reptiles (leos, chahoua, gargoyles, etc.) but with a Uro you really do have to "lift tail".... Here's a pic of my 1.3yr old male for reference:
    [​IMG]

Well that was confusing! Might I just add that that photo was ridiculously difficult to get!

Nines likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

Nice pics, for a cell phone!! I like the seperate food bowls, I mix my bird seed, lentils, bee pollen and 15 bean soup mix all in one bowl.

Nines likes this.
  12. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Thanks! Yeah I used to do that too... but he would pick out all the millet and little orange lentils so I decided to separate them all to see which he liked the best. So far he's just making a mess, lol.

13. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Yay! Just weighed him when I cleaned the tank. He literally doubled in size since march 5th (when I weighed him last). He was 50 something grams in march and as of today (pre breakfast and treats) he is a solid 100 grams :) he's getting so big all of a sudden!

14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

2013-06-01 14.29.33.jpg

That was Styxx on June 1st... I have to take a new pic with a real camera because his colors are coming out so much all of a sudden :)

naykid and Cammy like this.
  15. Cammy

He looks like he has grown a ton! He doesn't even have that "baby face" look anymore. *sniff* They grow up so fast.

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Lol here I was complaining that he was growing so slow! And now I'm like.... darn, he looks like a little dinosaur already! Lol.

naykid and Cammy like this.
  17. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

What species of reptile is this? It looks like some sort of monitor.. Very cool cage and he is a charming fella :D

18. Cammy

Haha, I actually think bigger lizards are cooler, so for me I'm always excited when we have a reptile at work long enough for it to get past the hatchling phase. Plus they tend to be more chill. How is Styxx temperament wise? Hands on or hands off kind of guy?

19. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Tim - he's a Uromastyx :)

He's calming down a lot, he used to not even like when I put my hand in his tank to fill his food bowl in the morning. Now he lets me hand feed him (when he's not being a miss-priss and actually wants what I'm feeding him, lol). And he lets me pick him up, but only if he's in the mood, lol, if not I get the whole body wiggle and then run the opposite direction and give me the stink eye for the next half hour, haha.