* New Crestie Owner*

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by lizagurl, Jan 29, 2005.

1. lizagurl

lizagurl Embryo

I just purchased a new female crestie yesterday from my local pet store (small store that has been there forever). And I have done alot of research, but I have a question, is it better for them to be in a aquiriium or will a reptarium work? I just ordered a tall 35gallon reptirium for her. I am not sure how old she is as I can't remember but I will go to the pet store later and ask them. I got eco earth? (the stuff that you stick in water and it expands) for substrate and plan on getting a waterfall and some other things for her repterium. Also is a pothos plant safe for her and an ivy ( it is a common household ivy with lil leaves on it? Please any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again Cyndi

1 Crestie
    1 Cham

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I think reptariums are fine. Those are the things with little holes all over right?

eco earth is fine, just make sure the really stringy peices are taken out cause while hunitng the gecko could choke.

I *think* pothos are ok, dunno about the ivy. Do you know if it has a name or anything? You could always just but silk ivy or something if you wanted.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizagurl

lizagurl Embryo

Yeah it is an all screen cage so there are holes all over it :D

I will make sure to get all the stringy stuff out, it sure does make a mess when you have to add water to it lol if you could only see my kitchen!

The ivy doesn't have a name I might try to find a name I bought it at wal-mart last night and all it says is IVY go figure but it is just little. Thanks again

1 Crestie (no name yet)
    1 Vield Chamelon (Liz)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

They need an average humidity of about 60-70%. I think that the all screen cage would hold moisture pretty poorly. I would recommend a 20 gallon tall or something that does not have screens on all sides.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

I forgot to say, if you use the coconut bedding, just get a bucket and fill it with the appropriate amount of water and let the brick soak in there. Then when it is done soaking, put the garbage can next to the bucket. No pick up clumps of the substrate with your hand and squeeze them out alittle into the garbage and them put it in another container. Less messy this way. Still messy though.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

Ficus is a good live plant for cresites. mine like to hide under the leaves. it also does a great job at keeping up humidity